[Owasp-board] Member Nation Portal

Sarah Baso sarah.baso at owasp.org
Fri Dec 13 17:53:50 UTC 2013

All -

Dave, Kate, and I had a call with our rep at Member Nation today and I also
have spent a bit of time on the financials. I have updated the proposal
here:
https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1yDTFCdmmZN3t732sqHTOFHMhQrXgUC46YbgDhGROcXM/edit

Here are the key points of new information

   - The cost of all the systems that the new Member Nation Portal will be
   able to replace for us starting in 2014, is $35,000/year.  Note that some
   of those systems/costs are based on actual registrations so I have used
   past numbers and current projections to put together an estimate.
   - This "cost" does not include the staff time/costs in managing multiple
   registration systems, running ineffective reports, and other operational
   overhead.  I expect that this new system will be much better for our data
   management and staff time in managing (not to mention the benefits for the
   community).
   - The first year costs at the point are estimates ($45,000) and we are
   hoping to get that number down by handling some of our own data migration
   and customization.
   - On our call this morning, we learned that Salesforce has adjusted some
   of its pricing (and minimums), which will save us an additional $2600 on
   our annual fees (reducing them to $11,100)
   - *We should be able to break even with costs after 2 years and
   recognizing $26,000 in savings in year 3.*

Here are some answers to the other questions in this thread:

*Internationalization*

   - Yes supports internationalization - currency is based on merchant
   accounts and we will be able to accept payments in other currencies (which
   will settle into whatever accounts we have set up).
   - Languages - Salesforce translates into the following languages (built
   in): English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Swedish, Korean,
   Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Thai

*Handling payments*

   - Payments will be handled through our same payment processors - chase
   payment tech and payflow pro. Member Nation itself is not accepting the
   money.

*Protection of data *

   - Data is held by Salesforce, I don't foresee issues with this.

*Because time is of the essence in making a decision on this and going
forward with the contract (we need to have a full 3 months to implement and
roll out, and need to plan for event registrations in 2014 as well as
memberships with the new membership model) - I am adding this for a vote on
Monday's board meeting.  This is included in the budget, but even if the
budget isn't finalized Monday it is critical for the operations team to
have a decision on this.*

*Sarah*

--
Executive Director