[Owasp-board] [Esapi-dev] ESAPI Java and Authenticated encryption implementation

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Thu Aug 22 21:38:18 UTC 2013

The next step is to give Kevin and Chris some time to make a public disclosure statement. I am fairly sure they are both willing to do the right thing here since the cat is already out of the bag. If there is no action in this front, I'll do it myself - but I'd much rather see this come from the ESAPI project leaders.

Unfortunately, the reporting individual decided to disclose publicly instead of giving us the time to fix it first. If the disclosure was private, then I think Kevin and Chris should have been given the time to patch before the official bug report. The only reason I think we need to make a public official statement on this now is because the bad guys already have this information.

Right now there are over 4000 organizations that depend on ESAPI for security of critical systems. We need to let them know they are depending on insecure software and provide guidance as to how to fix the problem.

Transparency does two things : it breeds trust and it defeats cronyism.

Kevin Wall and Chris Schmidt have spent countless hours working on ESAPI. In no way do I want to shame them.

But this bug is so critical, that I think we should be willing to pay Kevin or someone else to invest serious time in providing a major revision of ESAPI (version 2.5?) that fixes this problem as soon as possible.

My 2 cents,
- Jim