[Owasp-board] Profit Sharing Policy for Local Events

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Wed Aug 21 14:09:43 UTC 2013

Our Chapter has spent over $4k this year for meeting expenses and several
thousand additional for two training events that we've held at a loss rate
(intentionally) to add value back to the community.  We also use our
chapter budget as seed money for the LASCON events so that the OWASP
Foundation budget assumes no financial risk.  Our chapter is pioneering
when it comes to things like free trainings, global webinars, and more and
the only reason we are able to do these things is because of the revenue
driven by LASCON.  So yes, while we do have a significant amount of money
in the bank, we are also spending a significant amount of money on a very
regular basis.  If you're worried about stagnant chapter funds, Austin is
not your problem.  It just looks that way because we are refreshing the
funds with our conference every year.

~josh

~josh