[Owasp-board] Sponsor a Project?

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Wed Aug 21 12:59:23 UTC 2013

Jason,

I've been following along and had a few questions on your first email. You
indicated that OWASP can't enforce any sort of policy without ownership of
the project through a contributor agreement and our only recourse would be
to remove "OWASP" from the project name (and remove instances from the
wiki).

In my opinion this is actually a very strong amount of control and provides
us the ability to set policy for our projects. If functioning as intended,
the OWASP platform provides projects many values. We are a resource to
rally other contributors, we provide visibility to new projects to attract
users and developers, and we also provide our projects with special
placement at OWASP conferences and workshops. I feel that we are in a good
position to set a series of rules that a project must adhere to if it
wishes to be an OWASP project. If the project wants to do differently,
that's fine, but it wouldn't be an OWASP project.

To one of your other points, this does mean a project owner could take
their project elsewhere. This is where we differ from apache. This is a
risk and would be solved by the contributor agreement and ownership
element. However, we don't need to solve the problem of projects defecting
to still address the rules and requirements to be an OWASP project.

Thoughts? Interested in your opinion on this delineation of the issue.

--
Michael Coates | OWASP | @_mwc