[Owasp-board] Sponsor a Project?

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Wed Aug 21 09:21:35 UTC 2013

Jason, these projects are open source.

Also, your comments still do not address the inconsistency in which we
address project sponsorship. My main goal is consistency and a neutral
playing field that is not controlled by one vendor (aka: vendor neutrality).

Stand by, there will be several proposals put on the table for discussion
soon. The board is not going to make a decision here, the community will be
discussing and voting on this.

Thank you, Jason.

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode

On Aug 21, 2013, at 8:37 AM, Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org> wrote:

Jim,

I'm not sure how you can disagree with what I'm saying because I'm not
stating an opinion, I'm merely pointing out fact.

OWASP doesn't have IP ownership of a large portion of projects because
that's not something that has ever been dealt with at an organizational
level. To my knowledge, none of the countless folks that have contributed
to various code projects that are hosted off the wiki had to sign any kind
of contributor agreement or anything like that when they started
associating with a project.

That is in stark contrast to the Apache Foundation where they DO require
contributors to sign license agreements and for projects to be granted to
the Apache Foundation under specific conditions. Those practices give Apache
the ability to manage and protect projects in the ways you are seeking.

I never said that we can't have that same kind of frameworm as well - in
fact as I pointed out, the GPC was trying to move in that direction to get
the project house in order.

But I'm trying to tell you that you're pushing the Apache model of
sponsorship and neutralty without the supporting contributor framework that
Apache has... it's like trying to fly without wings - it may be possible
but it's a lot harder and you run the risk of falling on your face.

You talk about changing the Wild West attitude and my point is that the
most unstructured, most Wild West attribute of our projects right now is a
lack of "ownership" which prevents OWASP as an organization from truly
putting the structure you desire around projects.

-Jason