[Owasp-board] Sponsor a Project?

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Tue Aug 20 09:50:44 UTC 2013

Thank you for your humble opinion.

I humbly disagree with almost everything you said because it allows single
vendors to exert great control in an inconsistent way like we have seen
from your employer on a number of occasions. But no blame to them, the past
project team and board never set clear rules of play. But there is a price
to pay for this. The current wild wild west attitude regarding project
sponsorship violates the heart of vendor neutrality which I wish to fix.

In the upcoming days the board will release a series of different options
for future project sponsorship that we want the community to vote on (or
expand upon). Changing the current project sponsorship mechanism would be a
critical change and the board should not make this decision alone.

The goal is a neutral, fair and consistent playing field in terms of
project sponsorship. What we have now is the wild west and that needs to
change.

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode

On Aug 20, 2013, at 5:34 AM, Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org> wrote:

Jim,

The Apache model is good to look at - the GPC borrowed many concepts from
Apache when we were ironing out the project lifecycle. But we
discovered there are several challenges that we need to overcome before we
can truly consider such a model.

I don't know if you realize this fact, but projects have to grant/license
to Apache before it is considered into the incubator. That step is one of
the reasons they can afford to dictate policy on their projects.

So I feel as though you're putting the cart before the horse...

Currently, we are not in a position to effect wide scale policy change
because we don't have any ownership stake in projects. Documentation
projects on the OWASP Wiki are ostensibly covered implicitly by the
contributor agreement users agree to when they sign up for a wiki account.
However, most projects don't exist entirely on the wiki but in outside
repositories. The only project I know of that has gone through some grant
process is the Secure Coding Practices Quick Reference Guide. That project
was formally and legally granted in its entirety to OWASP by the Boeing
Company.

Keith Turpin (GPC) and Sam were collaborating on standardizing this grant
process before the dissolution of the global committees so that OWASP could
exert some direction on projects. But until that is in place and we have a
critical mass of projects on board, I think a lot of theses project
sponsorship issues will remain murky. Without some "ownership" stake in a
project, we can't really "push" any policy change on projects other than to
say "stop using the OWASP name" and try and create our own fork the
project. That is not only difficult to do, but not entirely desirable and
perhaps not even feasible depending on the license...

Without some kind of grant framework in place, we're a patchwork collection
of projects joined only in name...

I know project sponsorship issues are important to you but I think it will
help to first solve some of these foundational issues so that bigger
strategic issues can be approached.

My humble opinion,

-Jason