[Owasp-board] Discussion - Strategic Goals for 2013

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Thu Apr 25 10:55:46 UTC 2013

This seems like a good list. I'm especially fond of the contributor recognition program. There must be a professional way we can recognize those who drive the heart of OWASP, which in my mind are those who contribute in a selfless, vendor neutral, open way.

Traditionally, 501c3 boards have a big duty around fundraising and financial stability. In some non profits, the board members are key financial donators.

I asked Kelly to loop me into any process (as she sees fit) where we are trying to encourage a company to be a corporate sponsor. Now that we as a board are not so much handling operations, perhaps we can spend time helping Kelly "close" these sponsorships?

For example, Microsoft approached me (Katie Moussouris) and asked how Microsoft could sponsor OWASP conferences. Excellent! Note that Microsoft is an Apache Platinum sponsor, and has been for some time. That's 100k a year. If even a few companies did that, it would have a dramatic impact on our ability to serve the mission.

Regards,
Jim