[Owasp-board] Discussion - Strategic Goals for 2013

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Tue Apr 16 21:21:33 UTC 2013

I'm all for encouraging recognition, but it's pretty hard, particularly if
we want to automate it. That's why I've never really warmed to the idea
because I just assume it's way too hard/time consuming relative to the
benefit. But if we can really figure out a way to do it that is efficient
and self-sustaining I'd probably be for it, depending on what behavior it
actually rewarded and what the rewards were.

And at the same time, we are also reducing our ability to recognize
corporate contributors with the whole 'no logos on OWASP projects' debate,
which I completely disagree with.

I think we should figure out more/better ways to recognize both individual
and corporate contributors, not just focus on individuals, while at the same
time actually reducing our ability to recognize the contributions of
corporate contributors. I've always felt that corporate contributions to
projects are usually far more valuable than financial contributions because
they typically invest more than $5K of their time on such projects. So we
should encourage more of this, not less. I've always felt this way and so
has Jeff, who led OWASP for 9 years and took it from a small handful of
contributors to a global force with tens of thousands of participants.

I think we can easily get corporate contributions while handling the
potential for bias. In fact, I think we've already done a great job of that
throughout OWASP's history. To me, it's something that I don't think is
broke.

-Dave