[Owasp-board] Organizational Change and the OWASP Staff

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Tue Apr 16 00:59:30 UTC 2013

> However, we feel it is important we inform you of our discomfort in the
> manner in which this change was handled. We feel that the announcement of
> the new director role on the Leaders list gave the impression that this
> position would be open to the public for applicants

I share in this concern. I felt that just one announcement declaring Sarah's promotion would have been less confusing. The initial announcement of the role description - and then the announcement that Sarah was promoted 90 hours later, looked weird and a good number of folks on social media were equally confused and upset. I did my best to clean up the issues on social media and on the leaders list.

But I think no malice was done here. As soon as we figured out the role details, Michael posted it. Sarah was then made the offer, and it was not a given that she would take it. She did, and we announced that fact 90 hours later.

So while I do feel the communication of this was, um, imperfect, this was a unanimous board decision that we spent a few months discussing.

We specifically did not want to make an open announcement for different applicants, and we specifically wanted to promote Sarah due to her qualifications and past performance.

This was a not an "We want an Executive Director, who should it be?" it was more like "We want to promote Sarah, whats the next role for her?"

We are very sorry for this communication mistake, but I hope you see that the decision is very good for OWASP and the board did indeed make this decision in solidarity.

Aloha,
Jim