[Owasp-board] Projects/Chapters $500 for 2013?

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Mon Nov 12 19:02:49 UTC 2012

This is AWESOME Tom!  Chapter Leaders.....free money doesn't come along
like this every day.  I'd strongly encourage you to try and brainstorm
innovating ways to use this $500 to spread the OWASP mission at the chapter
level.  And to get your creative juices flowing, I'd like to share with you
what the OWASP Austin Chapter did with some of our chapter funds at the end
of last year...

We've been very fortunate that we have many well-known security
professionals either based out of Austin or willing to travel here.  As
such, we've had some pretty amazing speakers at our meetings.  Guys like
Jeremiah Grossman, Robert Hansen, HD Moore, Michael Howard, etc.  Having
had some extra funds from a very successful LASCON 2011 conference, I
decided that in 2012 I would use some of those resources to pilot a program
to run our meetings in a virtual format in addition to our standard
in-person format.  We bought an audio mixer, a wireless microphone setup,
and some cabling, and next thing you know we're broadcasting our meetings
to attendees around the world (and sometimes even just those who didn't
feel like leaving their desk that day).  You can even archive all of your
presentations and put them online for future viewing.  The OWASP
GoToWebinar setup is now a resource that you can use for your chapter as
well.  I've even created a handy document (attached) to get you started and
at just over $350 total cost, this might be something your chapter could
use this money for.

Help your chapter!  Help OWASP!  Do something cool for the community!

Sincerely,

Josh Sokol
Chair, OWASP Global Chapters Committee