[Owasp-board] FW: [Global_chapter_committee] New Chapter Request - Jerusalem

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Wed Nov 7 15:13:34 UTC 2012

FYI

From: Josh Sokol [mailto:josh.sokol at owasp.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:53 AM
To: Tom Brennan
Cc: Ofer Shezaf; Seba; OWASP Chapters Committee
Subject: Re: [Global_chapter_committee] New Chapter Request - Jerusalem

I'd strongly support 3 chapter leaders from a different employer if only to
reduce the workload on any individual and ensure that the meeting carries on
if any one company has a big push, layoffs, or whatever.  That said, I would
not support this as a mandate as I recognize that it's not always possible
in all chapters throughout the world.

~josh

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Tom Brennan <tomb at owasp.org> wrote:

For what it's worth..

NYC/NJ has been split to two different chapters with different teams and
Independant meetings and finances 11 months ago. I wish there was a OWASP
chapter in each NYC borough (queens,staten island, Bronx, Brooklyn & Long
Island re:Long Island we have one there already)

So the more volunteers the better - fresh and fun the big 'meet-up" is the
regional or global AppSec events. (I strongly support 3 chapter leaders each
from a different employer at a min requirement too... So call me crazy) and
yes that is the local rule of NYC and NJ chapter leaders in addition to paid
membership and leading by example)

2 cents from a guy building community locally with a chapter leader hat
since 2004 and hosting appsecusa2013 next year.

Tom Brennan

973-202-0122

On Nov 6, 2012, at 5:02 PM, "Ofer Shezaf" <ofer at shezaf.com> wrote:

I don't want to get to Geographical debates (however comparing Texas
distances to Israeli one was quite funny). While Jerusalem is within
(uneasy) commuting range from Tel-Aviv, an OWASP meeting in Jerusalem is a
wonderful idea.

However I think that arranging meetings in the context of the same chapter
might be a better way to go, and is the way things are done in most European
countries. Why?

.         I want to touch on the McDonald's Franchising issue: I do think a
reasonable size of reachable audience (and for that matter potential
activists, speakers and sponsors) is a key success factor for a chapter.
There is one difference though - in an OWASP chapter there is room for all.
If too many people need to choose, the area is too small.

o   This is not just an idea - I recall several dense metro area going
through a unification process because those issues are real - and some of
them are our most successful chapters - NYC/NJ, BeNeLux and the Bay area are
those that come to mind.

.         A chapter in a smaller country has (or should have) a national
role (localizing materials, industry and media relations, legislators
relations etc).

To that end, what I would like to see is Josh joining the OWASP IL board. I
think we do better than most chapters, but we don't do nearly as good as we
should, and anybody willing to give a hand (and organize a meeting in
Jerusalem) is welcomed. If something holds against Josh is that he never
volunteered so far.

~ Ofer Shezaf