[Owasp-board] Project Reboot - Campaign

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Fri May 4 17:25:12 UTC 2012

Eoin,

Looking forward to the next OWASP Board Meeting https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Board_Meetings related to OWASP Reboot on Projects: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Projects_Reboot_2012

* This email is related to the CAMPAIGN of raising funds for the REBOOT PROJECT and FTE for management of OWASP projects and not what to do with it or how to use it. (context)

When attempting to raise visibility for OWASP Foundation our brand as a non-profit as well as our mission today we have  over 30,000 that today utilize our mailing lists - Agree?

If just $1.00 can save a web application collectively, why not run a campaign to help support this project reboot effort and have the community be part of the funding effort.  Ask for $1 small simple

***  http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/projectreboot/owasp-project-reboot ***

*BELOW* is a example of what can be sent -- we can modify anything we want in the body on the website etc.. this is a production draft ;)  and I will defer to you and our team to craft that compelling message to the community to help KICK OFF the effort and get everyone on the thread to start thinking about this.

Thoughts, Comments, Flames are fine.. doing NOTHING = NO RESULTS and this effort is to important to the core strategic goals set by the board in January to die with no action.

FUNDING
- It has been suggested to raise funds from Chapter buckets asking them for a percentage to fund the effort (BTW over 150k now) see: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Donation_Scoreboard /

- It has been suggested to leverage funds already raised and will be in 2012  from our conferences to run a bounty program (move from inactive to active $500, active alpha, to active beta $1337, active beta to release $5000) and commit budget that was set-aside for the 2013 Summit

-

P.S. - If the concept works in general, this could also be used by project leaders to write a abstract proposal and then have interested parties fund it -- just saying think independent funding by the project retaining the OWASP and content available under a Creative Commons 3.0 License.

BTW - TGIF

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Tom Brennan" <support at firstgiving.com>
> Date: May 4, 2012 1:16:07 PM EDT
> To: tomb at owasp.org
> Subject: A message from Tom
>

> Hello
>
> I’m raising money for OWASP FOUNDATION INC. I would like to ask you to support the cause and make a donation to my fundraising page: OWASP-Project-Reboot
>
> All donations are secure and sent directly to OWASP FOUNDATION INC by FirstGiving, who will email you a printable record of your donation.
>
> Please share my page with any of your friends and family that may be inspired to donate as well.
>
> Thank you for your support!
>

> OWASP-Project-Reboot
> http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/projectreboot/owasp-project-reboot?mid=KtYDAA2
> OWASP-Project-Reboot
> 1/4/2013
> Fundraising goal:	$25,000.00
> Raised so far:	$0.00
>

> This email was sent to tomb at owasp.org by Tom Brennan

> 34 Farnsworth Street, 3rd Floor - Boston, MA 02210

Tom Brennan
International Board of Directors
OWASP Foundation
(t) 973-202-0122