[Owasp-board] OWASP Project Manager job description

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Thu May 10 03:18:50 UTC 2012

Seba,

Thanks for moving the ball on this effort.

I think an important aspect of the role is that the vast majority of the
projects are not going to be held to a timeline or project milestones like
a typical software development project.

Any projects that are paid for (e.g. DHS funding, Google SoC) obviously has
some measure of performance.

But the vast majority of projects are worked on by volunteers on their own
time table. As a result, a lot of the operational tasking is simply putting
people in touch with the right folks and pestering project leaders to do
things. The project management side of things is not the traditional PM
role that most project managers will be accustomed to. I believe that
people skills will be more important than project management experience -
we need someone like Kate, Sarah or Kelly that executes on operational
tasks more than we need someone that understands open source development.

As to Sarah's note about SourceForge expertise, that will not be necessary.
Given recent conversations with the rest of the GPC, we no longer believe
SourceForge is the right direction for us (for a variety of reasons).
Considering that to my knowledge, they have yet to invoice us for any
service related costs, we are looking to reach out to them and see if they
would be willing to forego the service contract given that we were unable
to leverage the service in the way we had hoped.

-Jason