[Owasp-board] A new LinkedIn group for confirmed members only - A GMC proposal to OWASP board

Helen Gao helen.gao at owasp.org
Thu Mar 29 17:48:59 UTC 2012

I believe the new subgroup should be an Open Group, but users must request
to join this group and be approved by a manager. An Open Group fits
the openness of OWASP better and also provides perks to members. Below is
from LinkedIn:

*In addition to today's members-only groups, Open Groups enable the world
to see and share your discussions. In either kind of LinkedIn group, you
have full control over the quality of contributions and membership. We can
create the subgroup as a member-only group and convert it to an open group
later.*

Benefits

Open Group/New

members-only Group

Discussion visibility

Anyone*

Members only

Indexing by search engines

Yes

No

Sharing to Twitter and Facebook

Yes

No

Anyone on LinkedIn can contribute

Optional

No

* When a group is converted, only new discussions are open to everyone.
Previous discussions get stored in a read-only Archive open to members
only.

If @owasp.org are granted to members only, then we can configure LinkedIn
to pre-approve members with this domain. Just a thought to reduce
administrative overhead.