[Owasp-board] Fwd: [owasp-antisamy] AntiSamy Java library: internationalcharacters / issue 121

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Tue Mar 20 16:56:02 UTC 2012

Jim,

You're talking about issues that are slightly out of context of the AntiSamy project and fixated on the notion of flagship status.

Projects are driven by leaders and it should not be the goal or desire of the GPC or the Board to be managing minutiae like change control. Ironically, projects is an area where I support your federalist/states rights perspective of OWASP - we have to be cognizant of what we're doing to *support* projects versus *impose* on projects.

Remember that all project leaders are volunteers - just because a patch hasn't been accepted doesn't mean a project leader is ignoring the issue OR is somehow "undeserving" of the "benefit" of OWASP (which btw, the tangible concrete benefit that any given project *currently* gets at OWASP is negligible). Do we need to find a way to address user concerns? Yes. But trying to "force" or "escalate" a volunteer to do something is not constructive.

I want to reply with more detail and context but I honestly don't have time to so that this week and I don't want you to keep fanning flames on this thread in the meantime. I promise to respond to this thread to clarify what flagship is, what the reasonable limits of OWASP are, and then we can have a responsible, measured conversation about projects.

-Jason