[Owasp-board] Lulzsec

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Fri Mar 9 00:15:00 UTC 2012

I think it is important for us to clear up any points of confusion.  Since OWASP is an open source, grass roots movement, any individual is able to contribute resources or participate in the community.  Like other open source projects, individuals from all over the world will donate code, documentation or expertise. Similarly, this organization does not perform background checks or submit participants to invasive reviews in order to participate in the community. This is standard practice for open organizations.

In this particular situation we have an individual that is no longer leading the chapter that he attempted to start.  The involvement or claimed accusations in any sort of activities outside of OWASP are exactly that, tangental and unrelated to OWASP.  We do operate to our mission and our values and will certainly take action if those items are in doubt.

To move forward in this situation we should follow our normal chapter process when a leader steps down or is inactive. We'll post to the mailing list to see if others are interested in taking a leadership roll in the chapter, and if not, unfortunately the local  chapter would be closed down due to inactivity.