[Owasp-board] Survey monkey request for chapter donations

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Fri Jun 1 13:37:33 UTC 2012

I have some general objections to the idea of taking money from the
chapters in order to fund the projects, but so far I've let those slide as
this was supposed to be an optional contribution for chapters.  This survey
indicates quite the opposite.

To start with, it needs to say that this is "*NOT MANDATORY*" or "*OPTIONAL*"
(which I don't care) in the intro paragraph.  Preferably that text should
be all caps and bold in order to avoid any confusion for chapter leaders.

Next, if you are not going to take me up on my original feedback to make
this a fill-in-the-blank for a donation amount, then there unquestionably
needs to be an "*I choose not to donate at this time.*" option.  As of your
current survey form the minimum amount a leader could elect is 5% and that
equates to a significant amount of money for a fair number of chapters.

Finally, I again suggest that this be a fill-in-the-blank for the donation
amount.  The current approach is far too restrictive and I'd also imagine
many leaders would just select the "0%" option to avoid having to do the
math involved with calculating percentages.

It also might not be a bad idea to highlight some of the projects that you
plan on rebooting and what the money would be used for.  "More visible",
"higher quality" and "more relevant" are fluff terms.  When you're talking
about taking money from one group in order to give it to another you need
to have a solid plan in place on what the money will actually be spent on.

~josh