[Owasp-board] Request for Comment - New Event Profit Split Policy

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Tue Jul 17 20:58:56 UTC 2012

The target is done in advance, not after the event. We use the U.S. event as
the date after which we figure out next year's targets because it is the
biggest single revenue source for OWASP, so it affects the entire next
year's budget in a significant way.

However, I could see that we could come with an estimate for each event
right after the previous event, and then potentially adjust it right after
OWASP AppSec USA, with the goal that it NOT be adjusted if possible. That
way conference planning generally know almost a year in advance the revenue
target primarily based on the revenue generated the previous year.

Regarding the $5K threshold, I think some potential for adjustment above $5K
is reasonable to consider for the larger chapters. I might not agree to have
the 10/90 go up to their entire target budget, because chapters raise
revenue in other ways  too, like encouraging memberships, etc. And if they
go way over their target, then the chapter could be significantly overfunded
because they get 40% of the overage too. And we should also consider the
amount of $ the chapter already has in their account as well. I.e., if you
plan to spend $10K but have $5K already there, then maybe $5K is a more
appropriate target.

The good news, from your reply is that you seem to be OK with the entire
policy except for this one specific point, which I think is BIG progress.
Hopefully others feel similar so we are approaching closure on this.

Thanks for reviewing this.

-Dave

sarah.baso at owasp.org
+1.312.869.2779 <tel:%2B1.312.869.2779>