[Owasp-board] Request for Comment - New Event Profit Split Policy

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Tue Jul 17 19:35:12 UTC 2012

1. The point about when the profit target is determined is unclear.  Does
this mean for the US event that we are determining the target after the
event has taken place or is this for the next year's event?  Why are we
using the US event to determine the timing for other events.  IMHO, we
should be able to set the profit target for the following year's event
within 60 days of the completion of the current year's event.

2. I am fine with the percentage splits here, but do not agree with the
$5,000 value at which they happen.  This is more than enough for a smaller
chapter holding an event, but for a larger chapter, such as my Austin
chapter, our event would have to profit $18,750 in order for us to raise
our annual budget of roughly $10,000.  In other words, this $5,000 number
does not allow us to scale profit splits well as chapter sizes grow.  My
suggestion would be to make $5,000 the base number here UNLESS a chapter
running an event has submitted a budget showing annual expenses greater
than that amount, in which case they are allowed up to that amount at the
10/90 split.  A subtle change, but one which I believe is necessary in
order for this policy to scale appropriately.

3. I agree that the Chapters committee should be responsible for monitoring
chapter accounts, budgets, and expenses as necessary.

4. I agree that the Chapters committee will need to establish new
guidelines similar to those of the Conferences committee for local and
regional events held by the chapters.

~josh