[Owasp-board] [Committees-chairs] OWASP Speaker Selection Committee

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Aug 16 14:50:00 UTC 2012

Robert Hansen and Jeremiah Grossman are both members of the BlackHat CFP
team for several years now.  Mano Paul is also well respected in the
security community and has contributed to the CISSP exam and testing
materials among other things.  All three have experience speaking at
conferences around the world.

We gave the selection team the leeway to develop their own selection
criteria.  Most of it was developed by Robert Hansen with LASCON last year,
but it was approved by the others this year.  The criteria are rated as
follows:

*** OVERALL EVALUATION:

---  3 (strong accept)
---  2 (accept)
---  1 (weak accept)
---  0 (borderline paper)
---  -1 (weak reject)
---  -2 (reject)
---  -3 (strong reject)

*** REVIEWER'S CONFIDENCE:

---  4 (expert)
---  3 (high)
---  2 (medium)
---  1 (low)
---  0 (null)

*** PRESENTATION: ATTACK OR DEFENSE?: from 1 (lowest) to 3 (highest)

---  3 (Attack)
---  2 (Unknown or N/A)
---  1 (Defense)

*** PRESENTATION: RELEVANCE TO INDUSTRY TRENDS: from 1 (lowest) to 3 (highest)

---  3 (New Topic)
---  2 (Unknown or N/A)
---  1 (Old Topic)

*** PRESENTATION: TOOL RELEASE?: from 1 (lowest) to 3 (highest)

---  3 (Public Tool Release)
---  2 (Unknown or N/A)
---  1 (Theoretical Discussion)

*** PRESENTATION: VENDOR NEUTRALITY: from 1 (lowest) to 3 (highest)

---  3 (Vendor Neutral)
---  2 (Unknown or N/A)
---  1 (Not Vendor Neutral)

*** SPEAKER: INDUSTRY RECOGNITION: from 1 (lowest) to 3 (highest)

---  3 (Well Known or Recognized)
---  2 (Known or Recognized)
---  1 (Not Well Known or Recognized)

*** SPEAKER: PRESENTATION SKILLS: from 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest)

---  5 (Excellent)
---  4 (Good)
---  3 (Fair or Unknown)
---  2 (Poor)
---  1 (Very Poor)

It's kinda funny because Robert then said that this was too complex
and he simplified his selections to more of just a flat 1-5 rating
scheme overall.  As long as the rest of the reviewers follow suit and
base it on the criteria above, we see no issues with this approach.
In any case, we have veto power, and will make the actual track
arrangements, but are otherwise relying on this team to make the right
selections for the conference.

~josh