[Owasp-board] Webinar and OWASP

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Fri Apr 13 10:34:04 UTC 2012

On BrightTALK

*From:* Jim Manico <jim.manico at owasp.org>
*Date:* April 12, 2012 11:27:12 PM CDT
*To:* Andy Lewis <alewis at owasp.org>
*Cc:* "Nguyen, Nghia" <nghia at hp.com>
*Subject:* *Re: [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Webinar Series*

Anyone can use BrightTALK as an individual. Saying they are from OWASP
is a personal choice.

But I do not want to use the official OWASP lists to promote this
because leads will be extracted from the event and vendors will pay to
sponsor the event while it looks like an official OWASP event, which
it is not.

I BB'ced the board to let our leaders know what I'm up to.

Now, if OWASP can use BrightTALK in a fully open way where anyone can
view these webinars without registration, I'd be a lot more
interested.

In the meantime, OWASP is researching its own Webinar platform, and we
intend to have no sponsors and no selling of leads. This will be open
for the entire OWASP community!

Make more sense now?

--
Jim Manico
(808) 652-3805

On Apr 12, 2012, at 8:58 PM, Andy Lewis <alewis at owasp.org> wrote:

Hi Jim - I guess I'm confused.  When I search for "appsec" on BrightTalk I

see a webcast by Dennis Groves (OWASP Founder) that's OWASP logo'd.

How's that not inline with OWASP's values?

I'm not trying to be ornery; I'm just trying to reconcile your words with

what I'm seeing.

Thanks,

Andy

On 4/12/12 3:47 PM, "Jim Manico" <jim.manico at owasp.org> wrote:

OWASP is a non-profit organization. We really need to avoid supporting

commercial endeavors that require OWASP members to provide contact

information to vendors, and that goes for my company as well!

I really like the BrightTALK platform, but it's not inline with OWASP

values of vendor neutrality, "open" and respecting our members privacy.

I realized that BrightTALK sells sponsorships and forces people to

register, these are things I want to avoid for OWASP's webinar series.

I BCC'ed in the OWASP board to make sure I'm inline with OWASP values.

Respectfully,

Andy Lewis

Denver OWASP

Developers, testers, security folks, and IT auditors all in one place!

How much better could it get?  YOU can BE THERE TOO!

http://snowfroc2012.eventbrite.com/

March 22nd!  Follow @OWASP303 or @SnowFROC2012 for up-to-the-minute info!