[Owasp-board] Conference Push

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Sun Apr 8 01:18:17 UTC 2012

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the update look forward to updated numbers.  As you maybe aware
we have monthly board meetings about and one of those items is the GPC
reports the status of conferences.  The update that was provided to the
board was that we were likely to have another loss in the region of APAC
this time in Australia for the second time and the estimates were as high
as 40k.

Needless to say a lost is not a bad thing - in fact it is a cost of doing
OWASP evangelism in parts of the world and not every conference can be
profitable and that is OK don't get huffy.

If there is an update in the numbers that have not been reported as
requested including regonline ticket sales and new sponsors that is GREAT
and the event is driven by the local regional team and the staff of OWASP
Foundation including Sarah who with Kelly, Alison and Kate and the
volunteers at the GPC share the same mission (Our mission is to make
application security visible, so that people and organizations can make
informed decisions about true application security risks) and as a revenue
event for funding the initiatives of the organization short and long term
to the strategic goals defined in Jan-2012 by both the board and the
committees on behalf of the global organization.

Concerning the training - yes OWASP Leaders are FREE to attend training as
always and globally as well as attendance of the conference anywhere in the
world that is a benefit of volunteerism.

Look forward to the updated numbers.