[Owasp-board] Draft Board Meeting Minutes

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Apr 5 18:51:53 UTC 2012

I thought the Board meetings were on the second Monday of the month?  I'm
assuming you guys met as part of the AppSec DC Conference, but it would
have been nice to have received a calendar invite for the meeting.
Regardless, I've reviewed the meeting notes and have a few
thoughts/questions that I wanted to share with the group.

1) Did we come to a conclusion on the two questions that I asked?

   -

   *Should the AppSec Conferences alone provide enough funding to
support** the Foundation or do we need to rely on profit from Chapter
events to** subsidize this gap?*

   -

   ***Should the Foundation adhere to a strong centralized model of**
governance in order to control the Chapters, Projects, etc or does
the** Foundation desire a model providing high-level guidance,
support, and** encouragement without the need to get hands-on with
everything?*

I see in the notes where it was discussed, but I don't see where a decision
was made other than a note that everyone agreed that the current system is
broken.  Those two questions are fundamental in coming up with a new policy
as Mark rejected any model I proposed where the Foundation could not rely
on Chapter events to support it's budget.  If we can all agree that the
AppSec Conferences should support the Foundation, then money received from
Chapter events effectively becomes "gravy" for the Foundation budgets.
Personally, I think that everyone benefits with a model where the GConfC is
able to focus exclusively on AppSec and the Summit and ways to make them
more profitable and reach more people.  I've heard at least Seba say
similar things.

2) I sent a note to the Board a while back asking to remove the time
constraints set on the LASCON policy exemption as we were clearly not going
to reach an agreed-upon policy in the 45-day window.  I don't see anywhere
that this was discussed or voted upon.  The guidance came on 2/22 so if my
math is correct we're at something like 42 days in.

3) I see a note in there where the Conferences Committee has requested that
Sarah be prioritized to them over other committees and activities, but the
noted justification is just what we aren't doing for events.  Not having
been privy to the conversation, I was hoping that someone could elaborate
on that.  While the GChapC's workload for Sarah has been relatively
minimal, I feel that prioritizing her work for Conferences over Chapters or
other activities would result in an inability for my committee to operate
on several levels.  My suggestion would be that if the Conferences
Committee feels like they need more assistance, perhaps they should refocus
their limited attention on the core OWASP events and maybe attempt to hire
a professional event planner to help with event logistics wherever they
might be.

~josh