[Owasp-board] FW: [GPC] OWASP.org SSL/TLS scan

Paulo Coimbra pcoimbra at owasp.org
Tue May 31 16:58:39 UTC 2011

All,

Forwarding Raul's email.

Thanks,
- Paulo

Paulo Coimbra
OWASP Project Manager <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Paulo_Coimbra>

From:  Raul Siles <raul at taddong.com>
Date:  Tue, 31 May 2011 13:15:36 +0200
To:  Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org>, Paulo Coimbra <pcoimbra at owasp.org>,
Laurence Casey <larry.casey at owasp.org>, Matt Tesauro
<matt.tesauro at owasp.org>, Dinis Cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org>, Kate Hartmann
<kate.hartmann at owasp.org>
Subject:  Re: [Owasp-board] [GPC] OWASP.org SSL/TLS scan

Sorry to disturb you again. Please, could some of you forward my previous
e-mail (at the very bottom), plus this new clarification, to the owasp-board
(owasp-board at lists.owasp.org), owasp-infrastructure
(owasp-infrastructure at lists.owasp.org), and GPC (GPC

As I'm not a list member, they were not accepted and most of the members
didn't receive it.

New clarifications:
--
>  You developed it so you should be able to have the glory and associated
> credit.
>
>  How does it compare to https://www.ssllabs.com/ ?

Christian,
I have run a similar scan against owasp.net (I won't make it public) with
the same results, in case anyone is interested: no SSLv2 support, no NULL
ciphers, no weak ciphers (40 or 56 bit keys), several strong ciphers (AES
128 or 256 bit keys), and secure renegotiation supported. Both use the same
digital certificate, so same results there too.

The only issue is that it will generate an error when validating the
certificate on any browser as the hostname and certificate entity
(*.owasp.org) do not match.

TLSSLed does not try to be a replacement for the thorough tests performed by
Ivan's SSLLabs. However, there are a few scenarios when you need a
tool/script like this, such as when assessing the security of internal web
servers (not reachable from the Internet), or if you do not want to appear
on SSLLabs' recently scanned sites list.
--
>  We do pretty well with Ivan's SSLLabs scan.

Jeff, I'm pretty sure you do. Please, read above my response to Christian.
--

Thanks,
----