[Owasp-board] OWASP Core Values

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Tue May 31 03:05:48 UTC 2011

Board/Chairs,

I'd like to propose a re-draft of the OWASP Core Values (currently: open,
innovation, global, integrity).

I don't disagree with any of concepts - just the specific words chosen.

I was drafting the OWASP Projects Handbook and trying to show how projects
support the core values. And it's actually really quite difficult... not
because of the concepts, but because of the grammar.

The four values are currently a mix of adjectives (open, global) and nouns
(innovation, integrity). Worse, they're incompatible pairs! You can't turn
all the adjectives into nouns (what's the noun form of global?), or all the
nouns into adjectives (what's the adjective form of integrity?). So it's
impossible to speak about the four values in a grammatically consistent way!

I'd like to suggest instead:
* Openness (adjective form open)
* Impartiality (adjective form impartial)
* Internationalization (adjective form international)
* Innovation (adjective form innovative)

Ideally, we could come up with synonyms for these terms that start with the
letter 'O' so we can be O-centric.

But I'll settle for terms from which I can construct sentences with correct
parallel structure :)

-Jason