[Owasp-board] conference responsibilites

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Fri May 20 13:01:26 UTC 2011

Kate,

My main issue with this is that the Conferences Committee has the experience
and knowledge regarding larger events i.e. conferences and the chapters
committee does not have this focus. Perhaps an attendance delimiter is
appropriate, say if OWASP is hosting the event and it's over say 100
attendees it is more conference, and would benefit from knowledge and
guidance of the conferences committee who has the experience with larger
events.

Additionally, one of the conferences committee's major goals (and a primary
reason for OCMS's existence) is to conflicting scheduling of events.  Larger
events, including those with a regional draw need to be carefully managed as
we are currently experiencing attendee, speaker, and sponsor fatigue with
our schedule that's mostly in the second half of the year.  Local events IMO
are more for GConfC awareness and tracking of the "official" event schedule,
they rarely cost much (although almost all request some sort of
funding/schwag and foundation support) and I can't think of a single local
event that's turned a profit (many don't' charge a fee).  Frankly I'm quite
willing to let these small events be managed by chapters so long as we still
get awareness of them.  I also feel that, short of us having a "marketing'
arm, promotional and partner events should also be managed by the
Conferences Committee.

So my counterporposal would be that any event larger than 100 expected
attendees (Things that are clearly chapter meeting, such as NY chapter
meetings excluded) would be under the Conferences Banner.  Under 100
attendees are classified as local events, managed by the Chapters Committee
and put into OCMS for GCC awareness when working the larger schedule items.

Additionally, I don't really think this debate has much to do with who is
managing or has oversight of the events.  I think that the question is more
fundamental.  the question I see forming from the debate is "Who should
oversee and direct OWASP's activities?  The OWASP Foundation or OWASP
Chapters."  John Wilander from the Conferneces Committee put it well, I
think we're having a "Big-Government/Small Government" debate which is much
more significant to the direction of OWASP as a whole than a single policy
on profit sharing, and is a question better left to the Board than any
single committee.

-Mark

--
Mark Bristow