[Owasp-board] conference responsibilites

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Fri May 20 12:39:40 UTC 2011

Mark, Tin, and Board,

Before I send this note out to the committee lists or the leader's list or
any other list I want to send it to you in hopes that you will take this on
and support it.

I have been trying to read all of the communication about the profit sharing
split and the role of the GCC and on and on and on.  This debate is
frustrating and is not beneficial.  The truth is, it is actually harmful,
going against our mission and purpose.  Factions are forming, and a solution
needs to be agreed upon.

So, at the Board meeting, I will be presenting the following possible
scenario:  The GCC maintain supervision and the financial policies apply to
the 7 major AppSec events (Asia, North America, South America, Europe,
Oceania, and the other two location (potentially AppSec DC - as suggested by
John Wilander, and another large conference that meets the standards of an
AppSec).  The other, smaller events like LASCON, FRoC, BeNeLux would become
the responsibility of the Chapter Committee.

This is the rationale for this suggestion.

1.  Mad Props to Mark and the Conferences committee for setting up a flow
through to capture and manage events.  The OCMS is awesome!  Way better than
getting random emails about events or finding out about them after they've
happened.

2.  Most of the requirements (policies) apply to all events (speaker
agreement, budget planning tool, insurance, financial liability) but some do
not (profit sharing split)

3.  Global AppSec Events continue to be the Flagship events of the
foundation and a primary source of revenue and, as such, require tighter
supervision and relationship with the Foundation

4.  99.9% of Local/Regional events are intended to be just that.local and or
regional events.  Their primary purpose is outreach and as such, drive our
mission.

5.  The revenue from the local events is generally minimal at best and
really stay in the locale that they came from

So, I will be proposing this delegation of duties.  I understand that there
are many challenges that the chapter committee will face, but since their
focus is really supporting our outreach, it is a natural fit.  Since Sarah
and I both have a foot in both the Conferences committee as well as the
Chapter Committee, I think that between the two of us we can liaise any
issues that arise.  A transition plan is necessary, but knowing the members
of the chapter committee as well as the members of the Conference committee,
I really believe this is the solution we need to adopt today to end this
fracturing debate.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.  I will be posting this to the community
- outlining a plan - early next week to allow enough time for comments
before the June 6th board meeting vote on the proposal.

Kate Hartmann

Operations Director

301-275-9403

www.owasp.org <http://www.owasp.org/>