[Owasp-board] Opportunity for an OWASP Event pre-RSAC 2012

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Tue May 3 19:58:16 UTC 2011

GCC,

I had a discussion today with Wendy Anderson (initial email below) who
represents the RSA conference.  Wendy was gauging our interest in hosting a
"Monday" event at RSAC 2012 on Feb 27th.  I'm still looking into details on
this and am expecting a more robust proposal and historical attendee makeup
from here the week of the 16th but I wanted to get the conversation rolling.

Essentially RSA is offering  space a the RSA conference on Monday Feb 27th
the day before the plenary sessions start (for a substantial fee, think 40k
range but I assume negotiable).  They are offering a space for around 500
people, light refreshment (tea, coffee, water) AV, Signage and a few other
items for our use.  We would then have the space available in a
configuration of our choosing to host our own "mini-event" at RSAC.  This
may be an opportunity to get the OWASP message out to a large number of
professionals (18,000 attended RSAC last year) from a cross section of the
industry.

My initial thoughts would be that we could hold a "OWASP Day" in this space,
a OWASP Training day, mini-summit or some other event that would be a large
draw but I'm open to all ideas.

Regarding cost, this would be a significant investment for OWASP and we need
to consider this carefully.  We do have the option of soliciting sponsors
for our event and we could do a membership drive as well.  It is not clear
if we can charge an independent fee for this (all attendees to our event
would have to be RSA attendees, but we would get a code for free EXPO passes
for members) but Wendy is looking into this opportunity.

More details are forthcoming (as usual, there would be some co-marketing
expected and a few other caveats) but I wanted to get some thoughts from you
all on this potential opportunity (I'm still formulating my own opinion).

I have attached a link below that will help illustrate how we promote and
support our “Monday” events from the 2011 RSA Conference website. See the
CSA and TCG events specifically- also click on the agenda links under each.

http://www.rsaconference.com/2011/usa/agenda/mondayevents.htm

Our Monday events are open to associations interested in co-locating
meetings/seminars/tutorials etc. onsite at RSA Conference.  Here is a
general description of the offering which can be adjusted to accommodate
larger groups and a longer meeting time( full day).

Pre-Conference Meeting Space –RSA Conference is offering pre-conference
meeting space at the Moscone Center on Monday February 27, 2012 for your
company or association  to hold an exclusive 3.5 hour session (RSA
Conference management approval of session content required). Attendees for
the meeting must be registered attendees for RSA Conference 2012.
Classroom/theatre style seating will be provided for a capacity of 100+
attendees. Room set will include A/V equipment (projector, screen/system and
microphone. Session signage outside the room will be provided. Food and
beverage is not included. Recognition, promotion and session announcement
will be included in appropriate attendee marketing (deadlines apply).
Additional terms and conditions apply.

Additionally, we can package the deliverables below with other benefits such
as promotion on our registration web page, Delegate passes to RSA Conference
and a free expo only code for your members. Co-marketing efforts (email
outreach to your members and promotion on your website is also an expected
element).

Regards,

--
Mark Bristow