[Owasp-board] Electronic Vote

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Mon May 2 04:07:40 UTC 2011

Seba et al,

I've put the thoughts I have for a more complete and equitable method to
deal with governance of finances, especially budgeting:

https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1X5uH7vqKH3aqRIBka11N05xFZ2_jddXAkz_8GcVCr_c/edit?hl=en

Readers Digest version is to put funds into 4 buckets:

   1. Operational Budget
   2. Committee Budget
   3. Foundation Budget
   4. Sustaining Budget

And to ensure we have a reasonable balance in the bank at all times - call
it a CYA or rainy day fund.  I've named it the sustaining budget.  I think
we've lacked a long-term perspective when budgeting.  I'd like my kids to
have a chance to be OWASP leaders.

The other concept I have is by-directional approval of spending on budget
items.  In broad terms, the funds the committees spend is approved by the
board, funds the board spends are approved by the committees, operational
funds are approved by the board and sustaining funds are purposefully hard
to spend.

The rest is detailed in the Google doc.

--
-- Matt Tesauro