[Owasp-board] [Committees-chairs] Newsletter Proposal

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Thu Mar 17 21:08:42 UTC 2011

Matt, I appreciate your feedback, but I’m not sure I was completely clear on
what Omnipress is offering to do.  They will be establishing a template for
our [insert name here] that we will be able to post on line.  Just like the
sample PDF that I have reattached for review (see Newsletter
formatting.pdf).  This copy does not have the pictures and images that will
make our’s stand out, but it is a fair example of the layout.  One main
advantage of this item is that this will be available as an “on demand”
print version as well.

I’m not sure if you are aware of the initiatives of the industry committee
and the membership committee to utilize printed materials as a tool for
outreach.

While I can not speak for everyone, but I know that within the projects
community, there are, literally, at least 100 different topics to discuss.
Add to that our own internal information like conferences, new chapters,
listing chapter meetings, volunteer highlights, citations, and on and on, I
think we could easily produce at least 10 pages of solid information.
That’s a great start!

I have discussed this as an advertising opportunity with a couple of vendors
and have received – initially – a positive interest.  One huge draw to
advertisers is the fact that these archived editions will be available on
line indefinitely.  We may choose to retire our on line archive and make
them print only, but they will be available.  So, from a cost perspective,
if the product costs us an average of $300/quarter to produce and we are
able to sell even one ½ page advertisement for $3000, then we have generated
revenue.

I can utilize reg online as a way to offer these “add on” purchases to our
corporate members (or even individual members) during registration, in much
the same way as we offered the shirts during registration for the Summit.

We need to be creative on ways to increase our outreach efforts as well as
develop new revenue streams for the foundation.  We have over $150K in
committee budgets that need to be funded.

Regarding the conference guides, are you suggesting we post the guides
online?  I have attached the “soft copy” of the AppSec USA 2010 conference
guide as a point of reference.  If this is not what you are suggesting,
please explain.  You can probably contact me offline to discuss this idea.
When we are ready to propose, I’ll shoot it back to the Board and the
Committee Chairs.

Kate Hartmann

Operations Director

301-275-9403