[Owasp-board] [Committees-chairs] What is a Global Committee?

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Wed Mar 9 02:52:19 UTC 2011

Jason's point is a good one, and there may be committees that don't require
as much money as others to achieve their goals.

However, I have a much broader view of the role of the Connections
Committee.  Check out the original idea from the wiki history (pre January
15) ..  I don't think a committee should be radically descoped without at
least a little discussion.

Responsibilities (from
http://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=OWASP_Connections_Committee
<http://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=OWASP_Connections_Committee&oldid=7607
2> &oldid=76072)

.        Make connections between the OWASP Community and the materials it
creates

.        Handle PR and promotion of OWASP foundation, projects and events

.        Manage OWASP Newsletters

.        Manage OWASP 'collaboration tools': LinkedIn, Twitter feeds, etc...

.        Manage the WIKI account creation authorization process

.        Handle issues related to the OWASP Community and its leaders

.        Expand OWASP range to include other non-'Web Application Security'
groups, namely Developers

.        Help OWASP to have further participation at non-OWASP conferences

.        Manager participation at OWASP conferences and chapters of
'special' speakers and groups

.        Work with the OWASP Website project, and help to restructure the
current website around its target audience (or maybe help to create a new
'user-focused' OWASP website )

These are stupifyingly important things for OWASP to be doing and I think
they do need funding.  One of the most amazing things we can do is to get
the right people together in a neutral forum so that they can actually make
progress on application security.

--Jeff

--
Mark Bristow