[Owasp-board] What is a Global Committee?

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Tue Mar 8 05:12:02 UTC 2011

Board Members/Committee Chairs,

I wanted to split this thread off so as not to dilute the discussion thread
of the GPC budget.

Jim brings up an excellent point that not all of the current global
committees require budgets. It's great that Jim and Justin don't feel the
need to have an official budget - but to effect the type of change that
OWASP expects of Projects, we (GPC) absolutely *do* need a budget. So while
I think Kate's suggestion for dividing up committee budgets evenly is a
reasonable first pass, this situation underscores the fact that each
committee serves a different purpose and has different financial needs.

Moreover, it may not even be appropriate for all current committees to exist
as a committee. Some committees may instead be more appropriate as working
groups or as OWASP communities/ecosystems (e.g. similar to
Builders/Breakers).

I think it's worth revisiting the missions of each of the committees and
evaluating what it means to be a "Global Committee".

-Jason