[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] Removal of Regional/Local event oversight from Conferences Committee

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Tue Jun 21 00:17:58 UTC 2011

Kate,

(sorry for the text wall, as you can tell I am passionate about this topic
which is why I signed up for the conferences committee in the first place)

Respectfully to you and Jason, I disagree.  I DO agree however that the
Committees exist to facilitate and grow their areas of responsibility
however sometimes this is done by setting guidelines/rules/policies to
facilitate this.  If it doesn't matter who's "jurisdiction" things fall
under, then why was it transfered from the Conferences to Chapter
committees?

Of course it matters, and it matters for several reasons.  As OWASP has
grown there has been a need to share the load of organizing our activities.
 In OWASP 1.0 there was just a loose collection of "leaders" who would
organize projects, events, chapters et all in a somewhat organic way with
little structure, then as we grew in notoriety, membership and became a
501c, OWASP 2.0 we added a board who's job it was to provide oversight and
be the caretakers of OWASP, resolve conflicts and help steer the
organization.  As of 2008, OWASP 3.0, the Global Committees were formed as
the individual tasks of facilitating, growing, coordinating and organizing
Chapters, Education, Conferences, Projects, Membership, Industry and
Connections became too much for a single group of 6-7 people to coordinate.
 The organization elected by nomination, volunteers with the skills,
expertise and experience necessary to execute on the more focused committee
missions with the board providing final oversight.  I know
we occasionally pine for the days were things were loosely coordinated and
organized but that was before OWASP had international recognition, a
budget, complex infrastructure, full time staff members, summits, and
thousands of members.

We are not who we were in OWASP 1.0, to deny this is to deny ourselves,
we've accomplished much and grown tremendously since then.  The key however
is to be OWASP 3.0 in a way that keeps the spirit of OWASP 1.0's innovation,
community and volunteerism.

With OWASP 3.0 we realized that we NEED a bit more structure at the bottom
(In my view the membership is always at the top of the pyramid and the board
at the top of the bottom) in order to ensure that OWASP continues to
function in a coordinated way.    I'm sure you remember Conferences in 2008,
they were a hot mess.  We had a great event in NY but were having trouble
extending that success into other events and keeping that institutional
knowledge.  Events were "popping out of the woodwork" with overzealous event
planners with big dreams asking for significant financial resources in order
host their own events in their city (I remember I was one of them).  No-one
was coordinating the schedules of the events, and thus, everyone
had their events at nearly the same time of year, making
our volunteers, speakers and sponsors weary.  Limited funds were not
prioritized, tracked, ensured we could back them up.  I remember being told
as an ASDC09 planner by allison that we needed to hold off on one of our big
ticket items because the OWASP card was totally maxed out this month (much
angering our catering people as I recall).  No one was keeping track if the
events were making any money or not, we had the "wait and see" approach for
profitability even as OWASP was taking on full time staff and having
ever increasing overhead costs to support things like the summit, conference
bridges, website support and staff.  In short it was a mess that worked by
the skin of it's teeth and personal heroics.

While not all gone, we don't have these problems anymore.  Why?  The
Conferences Committee was put in place to provide just an ounce of oversite
and set some really basic rules about how events were put on and to provide
a TON of guidance (I dare you to look at the history of the how to host a
conference page), templates, ops support, financial support etc
from those who knew how to run successful OWASP events.  We changed how we
coordinated events, evened out the schedule a bit relieving some of the
financial pressures on the foundation, helped events get sponsors, do CFPs
and CFTs, negotiate contracts, and now we are sending people to help on the
ground at the larger events.  Conferences run a lot smoother now and this is
because they are being coordinated/overseen in addition to fostered and
grown.  This managed growth has allowed us to host more events, in more
places (AppSec China Anyone, Brazil twice) and pop up a myriad of regional
and local events, all while turning better profit for the foundation to
support things like projects, infrastructure, loss-leader events (aka free),
supply budgets to committees, sponsor leader travel, the list goes on and
on.  This year we even started sharing some of these profits directly with
the host chapters, although some decided to take this as a "limitation"
rather than an improvement.

Throughout this all, there has been ONE place to go to get information on
events, ONE group of people setting high level organizational goals (do any
of the other committees have posted goals?  we do:)
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Conferences_Committee_2011_Plan) and
one voice to mediate issues, set policies and guidelines to help foster
great OWASP events.  When you start getting two voices, they start getting
conflicting information and it causes issues (I know you have many examples
where the committee had set one policy and certain individuals misinformed
people about that policy when asked instead of re-directing the inquiry to
the committee), you need a "one stop shop" so everything is clear.  Our
wildly enthusiastic volunteers are to thank for these successes, but every
once in a while, having someone there asking "why" before they write a $100k
check has been a good thing.  Unfortunately OWASP does not have unlimited
resources and occasionally we cant support everything everyone wants to do
(although we almost never say no, just not now, or perhaps in a different
way)

This is not unique to conference, almost every committee has some set of
"policies".  Projects define project criteria and set standards for
active/inactive projects, Chapters have the chapter leader handbook and set
rules for participation, openness, and frequency.  Membership sets the
prices of membership levels, defines codes of conduct and manages voting
rights.  Each committee has to define some level of "oversight" and
"policies", to deny that eiteer Conferences or Chapters needs to do so is
just well, terrible management practice.

I think that the small one day, local events that perhaps don't charge a fee
or cost less than $1000 to run, essentially large chapter meetings, could
and should absolutely be managed by the chapters committee.  But when it
comes to hosting the bigger Regional and Global AppSec events,
with hundreds of guests, venue contracts, catering, travel, transportation,
training these are the things that the Conference committee does best.  I've
not heard a single criticism that the committee was not doing this well.
 Why stop us from doing our jobs?  Lets continue to grow and investigate new
ideas for events, new ways to reach more developers (I still owe the GPC a
Secure the Flag Competition) but in the mean time, we still need people who
have done successful events to help mentor and guide those just starting
out, that's what the Conferences Committee is here to do.

--
Mark Bristow
(703) 596-5175
mark.bristow at owasp.org