[Owasp-board] Removal of Regional/Local event oversight from Conferences Committee

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Mon Jun 20 20:56:52 UTC 2011

Board/Committee Chairs,

I apologize that I could not speak up more clearly on this issue during the
Board call due to my bad connection from Morocco.

Having watched the threads, the whole local/regional/global event debate
seems to me to be a proxy war for one issue: profit sharing via the
chapter/conference split.

Committees exist to solely to facilitate and grow their respective areas of
responsibility, NOT to "oversee" or "govern" these areas.  From this
perspective, why the heck does it matter who's "jurisdiction" it falls
under?!?

As Eoin alluded to on the conference call, the idea of sticking an
artificial wall between the chapters committee and the conferences committee
is ludicrous. Local and regional event planners should be able to leverage
the respective knowledge and experience of both the Chapters Committee and
the Conferences Committee!

Remove the split debate and I see absolutely no logical reason for any of
this whole event "governance" discussion at all. If anything, this should be
an amazing opportunity for a joint committee initiative to pursue some of
the ideas Jeff referred to in terms of growing chapters.

It seems to me that it only matters when it comes to who gets to decide how
to "divide up the money".

I agree with Mark that I think part of the discussion has been charged with
the undertones of revenue split. If we don't solve that issue, the next
flash point will simply be what gets considered a "regional event" versus a
"global conference".

I believe that most of Mark's points are legitimate concerns about the
financial situation of OWASP as a whole, and the organization's dependence
on revenue from all OWASP *events*.

While it would be nice if we could support every local chapter event to grow
the organization, the reality is that someone has to make the decision on
whether to fund events and I do not believe that it should be the decision
of any one committee. So I think the Board, the Chapters Committee, and the
Conferences Committee need to sit down together and distill their
conversation to the real point of the matter which is: what happens to money
that comes into OWASP?

And as it will be a long heated disucssion, it's a conversation that I
*DON"T* think should happen on the leader's list :)

-Jason