[Owasp-board] REQUEST FOR COMMENTS/FW: My resignation from all owasp matters

Paulo Coimbra paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Thu Jan 27 21:46:15 UTC 2011

Board,

Please allow me to step in to share a couple of thoughts regarding this
‘Yiannis’ episode since I have dealt directly with him in a few social and
professional occasions, and, being so, have built a certainly subjective but
nonetheless firm idea of his personality and I am feeling that it would not
be fair to allow that Dinis alone supports the burden/responsibility for the
current disruptive frame.

To be absolutely clear and for what it’s worth I have formed the idea that
Yannis is tremendously complicated and inconsequent/incoherent. I’ve reached
this conclusion through a few episodes but I’d like to keep the focus on two
main ones.

As for the first one, roughly a year ago or so, when Yiannis decided that
his project should be assessed, he contacted me insistently several times
and vividly proposed we had lunch together to talk about it. Because I am
always a bit swamped with my daily routines I tried to manage the issue
through email as I always do but, given his insistence, I ultimately agreed
and we met for lunch in central London. To say it as clear as possible, I
have returned from the meeting with lots of perplexity since most of the
time what Yiannis said hardly made any sense to me. If I understood well his
speech he has advanced a thesis under which OWASP has been doing everything
completely wrong and the entire community of app sec professionals, if not
the entire world, was of his opinion. I’ve tried several times to ask him
about concrete mistakes and responsibilities but in my opinion I have only
got a set of reasonably incoherent mumbles. He jumped from saying that OWASP
was being severely criticized by appec professionals to that OWASP’s path
was not correct - I have however never concretely understood what the appec
professionals were saying about OWASP or why the strategic direction of
OWASP was so obviously wrong. Nevertheless I have opted for not supporting
his vision and for encouraging him to address the leaders’ mailing list to
discuss his concerns by saying I believed OWASP was an open organization in
which the open debate was not only allowed but deeply stimulated. I also
tried to change the chat’s theme to the operational questions we had to
solve regarding the need to evaluate the projects he was leading.

Given this behaviour I have returned from this meeting puzzled and asking
myself whether or not I had been in situation in which an OWASP contributor
tried to evangelize and kettle me to some sort of ‘OWASP unhappy people’
club. I have also reflected if Yiannis was thinking in building an
alternative to the current Board but ended up concluding that his speech was
not enough structured, coherent or even legible to be the case. I’ve talked
about this situation with Dinis and let him know about these subjective
impressions of mine.

As for the second episode, it relates to the assessment process itself.
However, as a previous point, I’d like to say that I have felt that working
with Yiannis is tremendously difficult and that I have only experienced such
burdensome when working with M. Boberski. So, to begin with and in Yiannis
defence, I think it would only be fair if we kept in mind that the
assessment of his project has begun when the GPC was updating its
methodologies and that consequently he may have been, to a certain extent,
victim of this circumstance. However, that being said, I am of the opinion
that Yiannis was always absolutely non-collaborative. For example, he has
kept himself insisting that his project should be assessed (and I always
understood that he was saying his project should be immediately moved to
Stable Quality) but it was a true nightmare to make him to accept that this
process should begin by himself performing his own release assessment. Every
single request we made, little or big, was always, but always, contested by
him and this has gone through until he addressed our leaders mailing with an
inflammatory mail (attached) with the illustrative subject of ‘Would the
real OWASP please stand up!’ basically complaining about OWASP
methodologies. In this time, I have told to him directly that requesting a
couple of files (PDF + PPT), a roadmap and a self-assessment, in my view,
couldn’t be seen as an asphyxiant burden of bureaucratic work. I am still of
the same opinion, and I can say from my experience doing this work, that
people usually don’t complain.

To conclude – I apologise for this long email – I’d like to synthesize my
view by saying that in my subjective assessment Yiannis has shown to be a
tremendously complicated person to deal with. I don’t know why but it
clearly seems to me that something has antagonized him towards OWASP and
that this antagonism has never stopped growing.

Thanks,

- Paulo

Paulo Coimbra,

 <http://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Paulo_Coimbra> OWASP Project Manager

From: Yiannis Pavlosoglou <yiannis at owasp.org>
Date: 26 January 2011 20:46
Subject: Re: My resignation from all owasp matters
To: Lorna Alamri <lorna.alamri at owasp.org>
Cc: Colin Watson <colin.watson at owasp.org>, Joe Bernik
<bernik at gmail.com>, "rex.booth" <rex.booth at us.gt.com>, David Campbell
<dcampbell at owasp.org>, Georg Heß <georg.hess at artofdefence.com>, Sarah
Baso <sarah.baso at owasp.org>

My apologies Lorna,

There is a cardinal rule in information security, at least among my
peers: you do not lie. Actually, here in London it has consequences,
if you do lie, you don't work in this industry any more. Think about
that, think about how many times you've been lied to in, say, the last
3 months.

You know better than most on this email, that we've spent a lot of
time collecting logs, cross-correlating our actions, making sure we
document what we do, one-to-one phone calls, etc. For what? Jeff
decides and Dinis manipulates.

Bigger matters, like O2 and the money spent preaching about it, plus
financial discrepancies (! we are a charity remember?) have not even
been hinted upon, yet. People on this thread know exactly what I am
talking about.

My personal opinion is that the owasp board needs to be dissolved and
a new governing body needs to be established. They are far too
corrupt!

Regardless, we've shown what the problem is, we offered to address it
and we've proven where they should start. Now, all that said, don't we
have better things to do?

Please let's leave it at that as I don't plan on following up on this
thread (I don't even know how long this account will be active for:)

Thank you,

Yiannis

--
Dr. Yiannis Pavlosoglou