[Owasp-board] Fwd: Summit Points System

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon Jan 3 22:02:50 UTC 2011

FYI, details about the points system

Dinis Cruz

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org>
Date: 3 January 2011 21:48
Subject: Re: Summit Points System
To: Mark Bristow <mark.bristow at owasp.org>
Cc: Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org>, Ralph Durkee <ralph.durkee at owasp.org>,
Neil Matatall <neil at owasp.org>, Richard Greenberg <
richard.greenberg at owasp.org>, owasp-summit-2011 at lists.owasp.org

Hi Mark, the points are mapped from variables that are included in each
attendee's page data, which is the one used (and linked) at
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Template:Summit_2011_Attendee#Confirmed_Summit_Attendees:_Seeking_Funds.2FSponsorship(to
start, I only used the leaders on that list since that was a smaller
number, and is the one we need to map ASAP so that we can allocate the
existing Summit Travel funds).

To edit/update an leader's data, just go to respective page (i.e. click the
edit links by each name). Here are a couple examples

   - Ralph
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=Summit_2011_Attendee/Attendee026&action=edit
   - Cecil
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=Summit_2011_Attendee/Attendee034&action=edit
   - Juan
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=Summit_2011_Attendee/Attendee044&action=edit

In each of these templates, you will see the following fields which
hopefully should be self explanatory (first example shows Ralph's data):

|-
| Project Leadership (less than 6 months old) =
| Project Leadership (more than 6 months old) =
| Release Leadership (less than 6 months old) =
| Release Leadership (more than 6 months old) =
| Project Contribution  (less than 6 months old) =
| Project Contribution  (more than 6 months old) =
| Release Contribution (less than 6 months old) =
| Release Contribution (more than 6 months old) =
| Committee Membership = Conferences
| Chapter Co-Leadership = Rochester
| Conference Co-Leadership =

At the moment (and for the first pass presented at the Board meeting today),
I basically assigned 1 point per item (including multiple points if a leader
had more than one value in one variable, lets say for example a leader that
was involved in the organization of more than one conference)

As another example here are Juan's mappings:

|-
| Project Leadership (less than 6 months old) =
| Project Leadership (more than 6 months old) =  Classic ASP Security
Project, Spanish, Internationalization
| Release Leadership (less than 6 months old) =
| Release Leadership (more than 6 months old) = Classic ASP Security
Project,  Spanish, Internationalization
| Project Contribution  (less than 6 months old) =
| Project Contribution  (more than 6 months old) =
| Release Contribution (less than 6 months old) =
| Release Contribution (more than 6 months old) = Top 2007 Spanish
Translation, Testing Guide Translation, Code Review Translation
| Committee Membership =
| Chapter Co-Leadership =
| Conference Co-Leadership = OWASP Day Mexico 2010

>From the data above, you should be able to see how Juan had 10 points (which
is the value shown at
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Attendee/Stats)

The idea/model is that each leader should maintain their own data, and the
OWASP's community should be able to keep an eye of any abuses (I don't
expect that many leaders will abuse this system since that (when detected)
would seriously damage his/her reputation)

So yes Mark, please update this as much as you can (i.e. where you are aware
of what your committee members have been involved in)

The plan is to send an email to all owasp leaders in that list ASAP (i.e.
tomorrow) so that they can update their pages and we can have a final
(first-pass) ranking by Friday (this will allow the top n leaders (n still
to be defined) to start booking their flights asap)

The data in http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Attendee/Stats is all
based on the information stored in those MediaWiki templates.

To actually create that Page, I wrote a number of O2
<http://o2platform.com>scripts that (using a dynamic C# Parser) is
able to transform that template
data into strongly-typed C# classes (which are then used to calculate the
points and create the page (I'm happy to provide more details if you are
interested in the technology behind this).

The practical effect of this, is that you will not see real-time updates in
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Attendee/Stats (I will
be maintaining that page (which is basically just a case of running an O2
script that loads the data and creates/publishes the Stats page (this script
is now part of O2))

Mark, this is a first working PoC of the Points systems we have been talking
about, so lets work on this first model and then finalize it by the end of
the Summit (for example I really would like to experiment with the weights
of each category so that we can get a ranking system that is a good
reflection of our community's efforts (we also need to map this data for all
our owasp-leaders)). And if you feel that a 'points category' is missing,
now is the time to ask for it (it is quite easy to add them)

Once we have a good model/mapping in place, (and if relevant) we should look
at other technological solutions to implement the final workflow.

Dinis Cruz