[Owasp-board] Results of Feb GCC Action items from the board

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Mon Feb 14 16:52:46 EST 2011

OWASP Board,

As a result of our meeting during the summit, you had asked us to make final
resolutions on a few items.

*Chapter Profit Sharing Model*
Now, with a greater understanding that budgetary and inter-committee items
should be run through the board for concurrence here is the plan as approved
by the GCC for an event profit sharing model.  It's important to note that
currently there is NO official model (despite what you may have heard) at
least in the committee's view.  Also as discussed, *much* debate that is
better surmised in a teleconference went into this conclusion, should you
require it, I will happily work with you all to set up a time.  We look
forward to your vote on this subject.

Local host chapters will share in OWASP event profits under the following
> schedule. In the case of multiple host chapters, the host chapters will be
> responsible for determining the division before the event.
>
>    - Global AppSec Conference - 25% of event profits with a $5,000 USD cap
>    ($10,000 for multi-chapter events)
>    - Regional/Theme Events - 30% of event profits with a $4,000 USD cap
>    - Local Events - 50% of profits with a $3000 USD cap
>
> *GCC Representative Roles and Responsibilities at Events*
The GCC will now send a representative to all Global AppSec Events and to
other regional events as budget allows.  This member of the GCC will be
identified early and assigned to liaise with the conference planners and
provide a single point of contact for interfacing with the committee.  They
will also work with Dave to go through "training" for signature authority on
contracts less than or equal to $15,000 USD in the scope of the assigned
conference.  While on-site the GCC representative will provide logistical,
contracting and other on-site support as well as report back to the
committee in the following areas (from the GCC 2011 Comprehensive plan):

   - GCC member shall:
      - interface with the local planning committee at least 1 month before
      trip (attend planning call)
      - Interact with planners/attendees while at conference
      - Interact with Sponsors
      - Sign conference contracts under $15,000 (once approved)
      - At the next GCC meeting the traveling member will be expected to
   provide an post trip report covering
      - Assessment of facility
      - Event Marketing Strategy
      - Examination of Event Budget
      - Estimation of Speaker Quality
      - Sponsor engagement/cost-effectiveness & feedback
      - Any notable comments from planners/attendees
      - Any unique outstanding elements
      - Any issues

*GCC Representative Funding*
The board had asked the GCC to discuss the funding mechanism for GCC
representation at events (GCC budget or against individual conferences).
This was discussed and voted upon at the Feb GCC meeting and the committee
decided that it would be best to manage these funds out of a GCC travel
budget for supporting events.  The GCC felt that, as at the end of the day
it's all the foundation's money, the benefits of rolling this travel under
the conference budget (therefore showing more "expenses" to their budget,
allegedly encouraging them to earn more money to break "even") did not
outweigh the "perceived" costs of offering conferences direct on-site
support and then "charging" them for it.  As the travel costs are likely to
have a small impact on a Global AppSec Budget (approx $2000/trip) it's not
likely going to impact the bottom line of the conference and would not
likely be the sole motivating factor for planners to get additional
sponsorship income.  The potential soft costs to the ability of the GCC to
conduct it's oversight role may be significantly impacted by making the
planners pay a "tax" that is wholly  internal to the organizations
accounting and has no real allocation.  Additionally, in the cases where a
conference planner said "thanks but no thanks" to a GCC rep at their
conference, the larger goals of better contract management, event feedback
and assessments would not be achieved.  *In short, the GCC recommends to the
board that this funding stream be placed under the GCC budget as originally
requested in the amount of $10,000*.

In addition to these items, I just wanted to make you all aware that we are
working on making some changes to the OWASP conference sponsorship model to
allow for "Global" sponsors.  We feel this will increase the net profits
from conferences but as it is a budgetary item, the GCC will pass a draft to
the board for consideration.

Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
-Mark
--
Mark Bristow