[Owasp-board] Meeting Today

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Mon Dec 5 13:52:19 UTC 2011

Eoin,

Some comments re conferences inline:

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:34 AM, eoin keary <eoin.keary at owasp.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I can not make it to today's meeting unless you are willing to move it
> either way by 1 hour.
>
> Comments below are in relation to the spreadsheet in googledocs "2012
> Budget"
> Some, you may disagree with but, it is our job to challenge ad make robust
> our strategy and financial position.
>

> Expenditures:
> Summit 2013 - $100K - Should this be in 2012 budget? I believe we need to do
> additional fundraising to achieve this funding goal.
The reason that the GCC put this into the 2012 budget is to amortize
the losses of a summit over multiple years.  $100 was roughly "half"
the expected funding needed for a 2013 summit.  Also note that the
summit is being planed for Q1 of 2013 currently so there will be many
expendatures actually dispensed in 2012.

I agree that additional fundraising is needed.  Please see the three
options I proposed @ USA. (sorry can't access google docs from the
office) all of them include sponsorship projections however the nature
of the summit will be a financial loss to the organization (and always
has been) mainly due to the large number of sponsored travel
arrangements that is key to summit success.

> The current revenue stream is related to "keeping the lights on".
> If we want a summit in 2013 I believe we should think of options to promote
> the event and seek corporate sponsorhsip, starting this now means we have a
> year to do it.
> Do we pay for a 2013 summit from 2012 revenue?
> We should should offer corporate members the option of sponsoring the summit
> as part of the membership fee? (Say an extra $1000 guarantees them a ticket
> to the event, this has obvious benefits for an organisation).
This is one idea being entertained, however I would say $1000 is
groosly undervaluing a sponsorship of the summit and no where near the
types of funding needs we have.

> We should offer individual members the option of donating to the summit when
> signing up for membership (say $10 for a change to win a summit ticket for
> OWASP Summit 2013).
This is a cool idea.

> We should approach the large corporates (IE, Goog, Moz, IBM etc) now via the
> conferences committee (or board) to ask for summit support citing what was
> achieved at the last summit and "how they can help change the face of
> application security" by supporting such an event.
We absolutely need to do this and I think having the board support
this is important.

> Connections committee:
> I believe $21K for connections is very expensive? What did it cost last
> year? $1000 per month for marketing seems rich unless such funds are
> earmarked and there is a plan for it?
>
> Membership Committee:
> I think this budget needs to be increased given membership is a direct
> revenue source. We need membership: corporate, individual, barter-in-trade,
> the more the better and a strategy in getting more members and funding
> behind this activity.
>
> Conferences Committee:
> Do we need $5K for cameras? Stats show that very few people look at recorded
> events!! Sure AppsSec EU videos were not even released even thought
> expensive transport costs for the equipment was paid for.
The idea here was to expand our pool of cameras to make them available
to smaller events while continuing to support our marquee events with
inexpensive video capture.  This is also intended to look into
additional equipment to allow live streaming.  This saves us tons of
$$ as filming a single 3-4 track event costs more than $5000.  Also,
some of the cameras we have need replacement supplies.

> What does event sponsorship support do? why does it cost $10K. Sponsorship
> is meant to make money!! :)
This is to hire a part time resource to do support capture.  The plan
is for this to be a net positive but we are in high need of a
"marketing" person.

> Should we continue to support loss making conferences? To what extent. Do we
> have a cap of exposure?
This was in my proposed budget as regional "loss-leader" budgets but
did not make the final budget.  Now that some basic processes have
been put in place (OCMS) the plan is to be more stringent with
budgets, signature authorities, and expendatures next year.

> Lets increase conference ticket fees and training by 10%
Currently there is no way to implement this.  Event planners set their
own pricing.

--
Mark Bristow
(703) 596-5175