[Owasp-board] Paulo @ OWASP AppSec USA 2011?

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Mon Aug 15 23:18:56 UTC 2011

Board,

We had heard some previous discussions that implied that there were
already existing plans/budget to bring Paulo to AppSecUSA (either by
the conference organizers or by the Board), so I asked Paulo to verify
if his expenses would be covered by some other initiative within
OWASP.

The GPC had already planned for Paulo to attend both our working
sessions in our original budget proposal this year, so we will cover
the appropriate expenses based on our existing policies.

Specifically, our policy is to provide committee members with an
allowance up to the equivalent of the cheapest cost of airfare and
accommodations. This allowance is calculated taking into account that
it may be cheaper for OWASP to pay for additional night(s) of
accommodation if the airfare is substantially cheaper by either
arriving or staying earlier/later. For example, by arriving a day
earlier to the working session at AppSec EU, the GPC saved several hundred
dollars *per person* on airfare, which was more than enough to cover
the additional night of accommodations. Even after the additional
night of accommodations, the final costs of the first GPC working
session were still 11.6% under budget.

This "allowance" is the model we pioneered for the OWASP Summit once
it became clear that Diplomata/Summit Attendees needed proper guidance
to spend OWASP funds appropriately. Obviously, we also used the same
model for the previous GPC Working Session
(http://sl.owasp.org/gpcws-jun11-proceedings#h.8jvs9j2p59fn). This
policy ensures that OWASP is not paying unnecessarily high costs for
travel, while granting the attendee the flexibility to work their own
travel schedule and arrangements.

The GPC will communicate with Paulo the appropriate allowance and he
can choose his travel plans accordingly.

-Jason