[Owasp-board] AppSec EU - some questions

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Thu Apr 21 15:11:58 UTC 2011

Hi Fabio,

In general, i suggest your team consider HIRING a p/t marketing person to help promote and sell your event. If your conference projects a profit (hence why your doing a global appsec) a slice should be for a professional/paid marketing telemarketing resource to help out. You need someone on the phone doing this 2+ days per week to be successful (i know as did this in 2008 for the NYC conference)  i expressed this to Eoin on the last board call. Also the GCC has budget to help here too., call Mark about it there is a common goal (one of them) is to raise operational and available funds for the organization to drive the mission.

Your event event looks really good on the wiki:  https://www.owasp.org/index.php/AppSecEU2011

I believe one of the most critical items that the conference organizers need to understand and create is a SponsorKit using a template outlined by the GCC.

Here is a example of what I mean;  http://www.sourceconference.com/SOURCEBosSponsorshipKit2011.pdf

I really like what they did with the above.. also simply having a standard agreement is a ++ for OWASP another example: http://www.rsaconference.com/2011/usa/pdf/rsa-conference-us-2012-contract.pdf

If we are not doing this, all conferences will lack support and this goes for even in the US, China etc... (lorna cc:ed for the FYI as she has been struggling with the same) and is the most common complaint i hear globally.  Always ask the question of "What is in it for the company writing the check..."  if we can't articulate this then the result is no sponsors.  This is certainly part of the eco-system of a professional association however until now the elephant in the room.

Any news or update on the GIC pulling together that financial services track? (Joe?)  having the brand awareness of industry at the event with panels and discussion topics works really well to bring the crowds and sponsors IMHO.

For Trustwave/Spiderlabs, you might want to call John Yeo in London office see:  https://www.trustwave.com/locations.php that is a separate budget/unit from the US team that I am a part of TW/Spiderlabs has 600+ employees) he should be able to coordinate it with his regional budget, marketing team.  John was also in attendance and supporter at the Summit i think you met him?  If you need anything official from me concerning Trustwave please use tbrennan at trustwave.com not @owasp and I will route internally.

hope this helps -- off to SourceBoston

-Brennan