[Owasp-board] ESAPI for Javascript Review

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Fri Apr 15 02:20:47 UTC 2011

This contributor was not the project leader, and I thought this small
investment (paid after the quality of the work was reviewed) was a prudent
investment to try to see if we could get some of Mario's students to start
contributing to OWASP. I don't intend to set this as a precedent that all
his students can expect to get paid. I'm hoping (maybe naively), that we can
get some of them involved in OWASP and hope that the recognition and
experience they gain is worth their contributions.

In fact, this student indicated that the payment would be nice, but wasn't
required and did all the work with no actual expectation or guarantee of
payment. He did the work because he wanted to, not for the money. They money
I decided to pay was an added bonus given the quality of the work. And the
amount was decided (by me) after the fact, not before.

So, I'm not trying to derail what we decided back in 2009 re seasons of
code. And I don't think we should revisit that decision right now.

I'm interested if my experiment will work and we can get more of them
involved, including the student who did this work.

We'll see.

-Dave