[Owasp-board] Membership assistance - Vote Required

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon Nov 8 13:48:52 UTC 2010

Tom, although I'm the first to want more automation on OWASP and there is a
lot of potential on CRM solutions, I think you are massively underestimating
the complexity of those 140 emails and overestimating what can be automated.

Our community is very wide and Kate, Alison and Paulo get bombarded with
requests that go from micro issues ("Hey I can't edit the website" -> Answer
= "Have you tried to log in?") to structural/key issues ("Hey what is the
OWASP strategy and rules for Sponsorships/Certifications/Conferences,
etc..?"). Some answers are quick, others are complex, BUT all need an answer
since that is part of what is keeping OWASP alive at the moment.

I know that there are a lot of gains that can be achieved by outsourcing
(Elance.com) or automating (Salesforce) our admin tasks, but given the
complexity of our community and how we are set-up, it is hard to create
decent briefs.

I'm also of the view that any change at this stage at OWASP has to be done
organically. I.e. there is enough space at OWASP to try new ideas and we are
fast in adopting what works, so in this case, although there is a lot of
potential in CRM solutions they need to organically 'earn their space' :)

Dinis Cruz