[Owasp-board] budget for training program

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Tue May 18 15:28:53 UTC 2010

Looking at the agenda for the training,
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/London/Training/OWASP_projects_and_resources_
you_can_use_TODAY you will see that the format is small (20-90 minute)
sessions highlighting different OWASP Tools!  This model is a really good
one since it exposes folks to who we are and what we do – beyond what they
might already know.

I had suggested to Seba that we might want to run these OWASP “workshops”
60/90 days prior to an event and then feature a full day or 2 day paid
training on one or two of the best received projects/tools from the
workshops.

This way, the workshop (free one day course) achieves the goal of tool
awareness and drives membership/support to OWASP, and the paid training
follow up at the event gives attendees the opportunity to drill down deeper
into how to maximize implementation in their organization.

Looking at the financial requirements for a chapter to host one of these
workshops, it seems as if each chapter would need to recruit at least one
corporate member to OWASP before they would have enough revenue to put on
one of these OWASP Workshops.

Kate Hartmann

OWASP Operations Director

9175 Guilford Road

Suite 300

Columbia, MD  21046

301-275-9403

kate.hartmann at owasp.org

Skype:  kate.hartmann1

global_education_committee at lists.owasp.org

Great plan, but I'd plan the training tour in September, after the holidays.

We'll have one combined with the BeNeLux Day in December

--Seba

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM, dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org> wrote:

> (CCing board, GEC and GCC)

> The idea is that this should be a chapter lead event, where the

> chapter uses the funds available to them to organize these and to

> bring in external presenters (who are always locally appreciated) In

> addition to Paulo's comments below, In the course we delivered in

> London last month, we bought and distributed a number of books (which

> I ask Kate/Alison to threat as a OWASP Global expense (about $900

> USD)) since I wanted to see their impact and interrest on the course

> attendees (which was very positive) The idea is to deliver a number of

> these training course over the next couple months (me and Paulo were

> talking today about seeing if we could organize an "OWASP Chapter

> Training Tour" in July, and there is already some movement in doing

> the same in the US). These course events should help to iron out the

> operation model, and when we have 10 of these delivered, we can do a

> review of them and finalize & launch this as something we expect ALL

> chapters to organize (when they reach a certain size) Finally, in

> order to start also enabling the the next level of these OWASP Chapter

> trainings (i.e. the idea of the "OWASP Academies") we will need to

> beef up the OWASP Central logistical team (with budget for resources,

> travel and material creation), which as I mentioned in the last Board

> Meeting, a plan for it should be soon presented for vote.

> Dinis Cruz

> On 13 May 2010 19:33, Paulo Coimbra <paulo.coimbra at owasp.org> wrote:

>> Kate,

>> As has been agreed, please see the enclosed email, the training

>> course is being organized under the following concept:

>> “We are proposing a Chapters driven model with local Chapter

>> organization in which the courses are free for OWASP members, the

>> contents are OWASP projects focused and the costs are supported by a

>> mix of funding i.e. local chapter budget, external sponsorship,

>> trainers sponsorship i.e. trip and/or accommodation paid by themselves
and local chapter members’ sponsorship i.e.

>> taking trainers in as guests“.

>> http://www.owasp.org/index.php/London/Training/OWASP_projects_and_res

>> ources_you_can_use_TODAY#tab=OWASP_Internals

>> Regarding this London specific event as none sponsorship has been

>> found as of yet, everything is being supported by the London Chapter

>> budget that currently accounts for $2,215.

>> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p6IFyntQTi7t-yH-peiD8Aw

>> Until now we have spent £74,8. Justin, Alison and Dinis have been

>> informed. I have paid these expenses and have already asked for the

>> reimbursement. The data is on-line on the course’s wiki page.

>> https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/owasp.org/ccc?key=0An4Puwz7EA41dFZv

>> OTdQbURBY1Vkd0Y2cmp2MHRmdkE&hl=en

>> As for future expenses, I can anticipate we will need to pay for four

>> flight tickets (Eoin, Fabio, Matteo and Martin Knobloch) and for two

>> nights of accommodation (Matteo and Martin Knobloch).

>> All of these decisions have been taken with Dinis and Justin’s

>> involvement. Sometimes the decision has also been shared with the

>> Education and the Connections Committees.

>> Please do not hesitate and get back to me if you need any additional
info.

--
Eoin Keary
OWASP Global Board Member