[Owasp-board] [Global_education_committee] budget for training program

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Mon May 17 18:22:51 UTC 2010

We need to be sure we don't confuse the two training models.

One is the chapter driven model that Dinis is promoting with the London
chapter.  If you look at this agenda, it is seems to be a fairly broad
overview of OWASP Projects and Tools.  The local chapter supports the travel
and accommodations of the trainers as well as the coordination of the
logistical pieces of the training (venue, food, coffee, etc)

The second model is the conference driven model.  These trainings are
promoted in coordination with the events and are more in-depth and deeper
training courses.  They are offered by companies and trainers.
Additionally, these trainings are significant sources of income for the
foundation.  Considering the current economy and lower sponsorship funds,
the trainings are often what keeps a conference financially successful.  In
this model, we charge attendees and have a 40/60 financial split with the
trainer.  The foundation does not cover the cost of travel or
accommodations.

I fully support the chapter driven training and would like to see this take
footing in the US.  It is a terrific opportunity to share our community's
donations and drive OWASP.

I would like to exercise caution, however, so as not to dilute the
conference driven training model.  In fact, I would like to see this
training model offered in cities across the globe.

Kate Hartmann
OWASP Operations Director
9175 Guilford Road
Suite 300