[Owasp-board] AJAX, JS and OWASP

Paulo Coimbra paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Thu May 13 17:14:34 UTC 2010

Hello Abraham,

First of all, thank you for volunteering to lead an OWASP Project.  It is
with volunteers like yourself that OWASP continues to succeed in making
application security visible.

Second, regarding your new leadership of this project, I'd like to request
that you send a project roadmap - basically the high level details of where
you'd like to take the project.  The OWASP Global Projects Committee (GPC)
will look at the roadmap and provide feedback on your project:  suggesting
projects which are closely related, resources and contacts which may assist
your efforts and any other suggestions to increase your project's success.

To get your project started, here are a couple of references for your
review:

 - The Guidelines for OWASP Projects provide a quick overview of items key
to a projects success -
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Guidelines_for_OWASP_Projects,

 - OWASP's Assessment Criteria is the metric by which projects are
evaluated.  There are three categories for projects: Alpha, Beta, and
Release.  The Assessment Criteria allows project leaders to know what
aspects of projects OWASP values -
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Project_Assessment,

 - OWASP's GPC blog - http://globalprojectscommittee.wordpress.com/,

Your project will have an OWASP wiki page to inform and promote your project
to the OWASP community.  To setup your project's page, please provide the
details below so that the GPC can establish your initial project page.  The
details provided will be used to complete OWASP's project template.  Feel
free to add any additional information to wiki page or request assistance
about how to add to your projects wiki page.

Details to create your project page:
(0) Project Name,

(1) Project purpose / overview,
(2) Project Roadmap (as mentioned above),
(3) Project links (if any) to external sites,
(4) Project License
(http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Guidelines_for_OWASP_Projects#Project_Licens
ing),
(5) Project Leader name,

(6) Project Leader email address,
(7) Project Leader wiki account - the username (you'll need this to edit the
wiki),
(8) Project Maintainer (if any)  - name, email and wiki account (if any),
(9) Project Contributor(s) (if any) - name email and wiki account (if any),

As your project reaches a point that you'd like OWASP to assist in its
promotion, the GPC will need the following to help spread the word about
your project:

 * Conference style presentation describing the project in at least 3 slides
-
http://globalprojectscommittee.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/what-is-the-3x-slide
-presentation-thing/

 * Project Flyer/Pamphlet (PDF file) -
http://globalprojectscommittee.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/what-is-this-project
-flyerpamphlet-thing/

As work on your project progresses and you are ready to create a release,
please let the GPC know of the change in status.  The GPC can work with you
to get your project assessed and moved up the OWASP quality ladder from
Alpha to Beta to Stable.  Every release does not require an assessment -
feel free to email the GPC if you are unsure about your project's
requirements.  For examples of projects at various quality levels, please
see the OWASP Project page -
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Project

That is all for now - I wish you and your project great success.  Thank you
for supporting OWASP's mission.

Should you have any questions or require any further information, please do
not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks, best regards,

Paulo Coimbra,

 <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page> OWASP Project Manager

From: Jeff Williams <jeff.williams at owasp.org>
To: "'Jim Manico'" <jim.manico at owasp.org>, abraham_kang at yahoo.com,
paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Cc: chrisisbeef at gmail.com, gazheyes at gmail.com
Date: Monday, May 10, 2010, 7:26 PM

Hi Abraham,

Really appreciate the effort and your contribution. We're ready to support
you in getting this information out there. I think this topic is certainly
important enough to deserve a full project, mailing list, etc...  Paulo can
help get that set up when you're ready.  Please let us know how we can help.

Thanks!

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, Chair
The OWASP Foundation
work: 410-707-1487
abraham_kang at yahoo.com

... and Wellsfargo address removed.

- Jim
> Hi Everyone,
>
> It was great meeting Jim last night at the OWASP meet up.
>
> My name is Abraham Kang.
>
> I have been working with Application Security for over 8 years primarily
in web based technologies.

> I noticed that the AJAX Security Guidelines on the OWASP site is a bit
lacking and does not cover important aspects of AJAX/Web 2.0 applications
including client side issues (XSS [all three varieties], exposed
auto-generated methods, reverse encoding, temporary data holders,
requirement for client side JS encoding), the XHRHttpRequest, and deployed
server side components.

> I have been working on an AJAX security guide on my own time and would
like to share it OWASP.

> This work is in no way related to, affiliated with, or condoned by Wells
Fargo.

personal email of abraham_kang at yahoo.com.

--
Jim Manico