[Owasp-board] AppSec DC - causing confusion with AppSec US

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Mon Jun 7 12:38:35 UTC 2010

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Mark and Doug on Friday
discussing the confusion around the name AppSec DC magnified by the timing
of the event.  They are not open to changing the name of the event for
several reasons.

1.       They insist that the board agreed to the event and the name over a
year ago

2.      They state that they intentionally named last year's event AppSec DC
instead of AppSec US to allow for continued branding of the event

3.      They believe that if they are forced to change the name of the
event, it would severely undermine their efforts to build on the success of
last year's event.

They argue that the naming conventions do not really fit the org anymore,
i.e. states there will be no more than 4 global events/year, and want to
rewrite the definitions.  They are looking at events like AppSec Ireland and
AppSec Brazil as similar, regional events, that keep the name AppSec in the
title.

While I understand their arguments, I believe that they are not truly
understanding the community's perspective on the naming of the event.  As I
pointed out to Mark, we have spent the past year referring to the
definitions posted to define the scope of events.

It will take a directive from the board to have them change the name.  I'm
not sure that the conferences committee can intervene on this as the primary
party involved is chair of the committee.

It is important that Dave and Jeff be involved in this since they were
specifically named as two board members who approved the wording last year.

Kate Hartmann

OWASP Operations Director

9175 Guilford Road

Suite 300