[Owasp-board] (OWASP BOARD) comment on RFC: Two proposed next tweaks to the services registry

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Tue Jun 1 03:57:56 UTC 2010

Sorry guys - I was in the country out of cell range all weekend.

First, I think this whole registry idea is dumb and a big waste of time.  I
tried to kill it by opening it up to the board and leaders before it
happened, and didn't get much reaction.  Now we have to clean it up or kill
it.  I'm sympathetic to Dinis' point that the commercial companies are a
part of the community.  But I'm frankly not sure we've got the ability to
engage with them more deeply without confusing everyone. Right now our
message is clear and attractive.  No commercial stuff at OWASP. Muddying
that up is probably a mistake.

Anyway, neither Dave or I have been working closely with Mike on this.  When
Mike bugs me enough, I do give him some advice. Here's a recent message.

Mike,

This is a hard message for me. I don't like to interfere in the normal
operation of the community because generally these things are
self-correcting.  But I consider you a friend and I need to let you know
that some of your messages are not helping OWASP, your employer, or you.

The people in the OWASP community are volunteers, generally very smart, and
know a lot about application security. There's a reason why they're
discussing this - it's important.  And as much as you might not like the
idea, there's really not a big gulf between the OWASP T10, WASC, SANS T25,
and ASVS.  The best thing possible for ASVS would be for it to be what you
turn to when you're ready to actually meet the OWASP T10.

If I were you, I'd send an apology for this message and encourage discussion
of all aspects of ASVS, including how it relates to the other docs and
standards in our field. You're not going to change the status quo by
insulting smart volunteers that are the only prayer for ASVS getting
mindshare.

I also have to tell you that I find many of your posts on the OWASP list
almost impossible to decipher. I've resisted giving you feedback because I
don't want you to feel like I'm grading you - I'm not. I'm trying to help
you be more effective in accomplishing the goals of your projects.  I
encourage you to reread the messages before you send them to make sure that
anyone reading them will be able to figure out what you're talking about.

I hope you take this in the constructive manner intended. I absolutely
appreciate all the effort you've put into OWASP over the past few years.  If
you'd like further clarification or if there's anything I can do to help,
please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks,

--Jeff

I think we do need to be careful about how we handle Mike.  We always say at
OWASP if you don't like something you can just do it yourself.  Well, here's
a good case when it didn't work out.  If we're going to operate that way, I
think we have an obligation to get in front of things that are going the
wrong direction and let the volunteers know that we're not behind the
project.  I think in this case we sent a muddy mixed message.

--Jeff

From: Mike Boberski <mike.boberski at gmail.com>
Date: 31 May 2010 21:02
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] RFC: Two proposed next tweaks to the services
registry
To: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org

Dear Colleagues,

The results of the survey are in! Thank you for taking the time.

It was a toss-up on the question of whether to include descriptions of
approaches to performing a given service. So, the requirement has been
removed for now, we can always revisit this and other items later on.

It was not a toss-up on the name change, there was an overwhelming response
to leave it named "commercial services". So, the name stays for now, we can
always revisit this and other items later on.

Please do forward any additional suggestions for improvement. I think this
approach worked well, batching them up and creating a survey, to gather
community inputs.

To be listed in the OWASP Commercial Services Registry, contact
<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Contact> Kate Hartmann.

Best,

Mike

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Boberski, Michael [USA]
<boberski_michael at bah.com> wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, I have been working on the OWASP commercial services
registry/commercial services board.

We're basically shooting for a phone book that's sorted according to some
OWASP artifacts as they are currently categorized, to try to nudge the
planet along in adoption of them, to get consumers of services of those
types to ask for them, by making it easy to find such service providers.

Towards the end of continuing its development, there are a next set of
proposed updates that we would like your opinion on. A survey has been setup
here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9JDN98P  If you can spare a few minutes
to provide your input, it would be appreciated. The cutoff date is the end
of the week.

Best,

Mike B.