[Owasp-board] Event Registration

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Mon Jul 12 11:25:20 UTC 2010

My answers are below.

Kate Hartmann

OWASP Operations Director

9175 Guilford Road

Suite 300

Columbia, MD  21046

301-275-9403

kate.hartmann at owasp.org

Skype:  kate.hartmann1

From: dinis cruz [mailto:dinis.cruz at owasp.org]
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:17 AM
To: Kate Hartmann
Cc: OWASP Foundation Board List
Subject: Re: [Owasp-board] Event Registration

Sorry Kate if you have already explained this on a previous email, but here
are a couple questions about this issue that I am a bit confused:

*	What is the history of this proposal?

We had signed a 3 year contract with Cvent and this contract is set to
expire in November 2010.  While Cvent has enough functionality to meet our
needs, and their customer service (answering questions is very good) it has
some significant drawbacks.  To name a few:  1.  It is expensive.  We pay
$3K annually and $6/registration.  2.  Cvent cannot currently handle our
memberships.  There is no "renewal option"   Every year, someone has to
complete a new membership.  3.  Each event is a "stand alone" event.  We do
not know, for example, how many IBM employees have attended training or are
members.  4.  Membership management and data collection is completely
manual.

Both Alison and I like the Salesforce solution.  We would like to have one
place where we can keep track of everything.  When I asked about memberships
and events during my training, I was referred to the app exchange.  The only
"complete" solution was the one offered by Navatar.
http://sites.force.com/appexchange  I reached out to them, viewed their
product, and requested a proposal.  What I've sent to you is that proposal
and an invitation to set up another product demo.

Eventbrite is a great product and works well as an RSVP tool.  It is used by
many chapters for this purpose (as well as free or donate only events).
However, in my opinion, it does not have enough functionality to accommodate
a global event with training and admission and sponsorships, etc.
Additionally, it does not directly interact on the Salesforce platform.

*	This is a custom developed solution for OWASP right? (since it looks
like a software development contract)

This is not a custom solution developed for OWASP.  This is a product that
we would purchase and then own.  The development would come from any special
enhancements or changes we would want to make after installation.

*	Where is the RFP (Request for Proposal) that Navatar is answering
to? (i.e. where is the brief that explains the problem we are trying to
solve?)

I did not submit an RFP to them.  I was looking for a product that would
perform a specific function and integrate with Salesforce.  They are had the
only product on Salesforce app exchange that I could find that had the
functionality we needed and the integration with Salesforce.
http://sites.force.com/appexchange/results?type=undefined&keywords=event
registration

*	If we do have an RFP, has it been sent to the OWASP community? (who
was given the opportunity to submit indepedent proposals?)

See above

*	If we are looking at solving or reducing the cost of our
online-registration processes, have we looked at the current commercial
alternatives that answer our brief? Integration with SalesForce is a good
thing, but a bunch of OWASP Chapters have been using EventBrite and it has
worked out quite well (is that an option?)

I love Eventbrite for free or low cost events.   However, Eventbrite does
not have enough functionality to accommodate memberships and renewals and
the complexity that comes with the global events.  I am looking for a
product that would be able to contain all of our information and cross check
items (like membership status for discounts or admission, for example).
Additionally, while Eventbrite is a free, commercial package, they make
their money when we "sell tickets."  I believe that their cost, in addition
to the merchant account fees and banking fees, could cost us as much, if not
more, than Cvent.

Thanks

Dinis Cruz

On 9 July 2010 16:13, Kate Hartmann <kate.hartmann at owasp.org> wrote:

Board, in preparation for Monday's meeting, can EVERYONE please take a look
at the attached proposal from Navatar Group for an on line registration
program?  Our contract with Cvent will expire in November and I'm looking at
options to replace them.  This product is built in Salesforce language and
is fully integrated with Salesforce.  This would mean that there would be
real-time information available on our members, conferences, sponsorships,
trainers and classes, etc.  It would hopefully eliminate duplicating work.

Alison will be working with them on the payment functionality to make sure
we would be able to migrate our current merchant accounts.

Product cost for Cvent is currently $3K annually and $6/registration.  This
would be much less expensive.  Additionally Cvent integrates with Salesforce
based on a download/upload process - not direct integration.

If you would like, I can set up a demo for anyone interested.  One concern I
have is that there is no "live demo" to practice on, but considering how
easy it is to use salesforce, this should be the same.  I have gone through
the product functionality with them and I believe that - if set up correctly
- would make things easier for managing our community's information.

Kate Hartmann

OWASP Operations Director

9175 Guilford Road

Suite 300