[Owasp-board] Watcher idea

Paulo Coimbra paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Fri Jul 9 13:55:54 UTC 2010

Eoin,

Thank you for getting back to me.

You are right when you say that we usually don't ask to our project leaders
to sign this contract. In fact, it was the first time I did so. I have acted
in this way because it was also the first time I was asked by a project
leader about who would have the copyright and, being not 100% sure, I
decided to act safely.

Having into account your answer, if you agree, I will respond to the project
leader as follows:

"We've been informed by OWASP Board that, as long you keep your project
licensed according to one of the approved FLOSS licenses, you don't need to
sign the Assignment of Copyright Agreement."

 <http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Licenses>
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Licenses

Thanks,

Paulo Coimbra,

 <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page> OWASP Project Manager

Email: chris at casabasecurity.com

www.casabasecurity.com <http://www.casabasecurity.com/>

To: chris at casabasecurity.com
Cc: 'Dave Wichers'; 'Kate Hartmann'; 'Global Projects Committee'
Subject: RE: **VL-JUNK** RE: Watcher idea

Hello Chris,

First of all, thank you for volunteering to lead two OWASP Projects.  It is
with volunteers like yourself that OWASP continues to succeed in making
application security visible.

Second, regarding your new leadership of these two projects, I'd like to
request that you send a project roadmap (one for each project) - basically
the high level details of where you'd like to take the projects.  The OWASP
Global Projects Committee (GPC) will look at the roadmap and provide
feedback on your projects:  suggesting projects which are closely related,
resources and contacts which may assist your efforts and any other
suggestions to increase your project's success.

To get your projects started, here are a couple of references for your
review:

 - The Guidelines for OWASP Projects provide a quick overview of items key
to a projects success -
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Guidelines_for_OWASP_Projects,

 - OWASP's Assessment Criteria is the metric by which projects are
evaluated.  There are three categories for projects: Alpha, Beta, and
Release.  The Assessment Criteria allows project leaders to know what
aspects of projects OWASP values -
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Project_Assessment,

 - OWASP's GPC blog - http://globalprojectscommittee.wordpress.com/,

Your projects will have an OWASP wiki page to inform and promote your
project to the OWASP community.  To setup your projects' page, please
provide the details below so that the GPC can establish your initial
projects pages.  The details provided will be used to complete OWASP's
projects template.  Feel free to add any additional information to wiki
pages or request assistance about how to add to your projects wiki page.

Details to create your projects page:
(0) Projects Names,

(1) Projects purposes / overview,
(2) Projects Roadmaps (as mentioned above),
(3) Projects links (if any) to external sites,
(4) Projects License
(http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Guidelines_for_OWASP_Projects#Project_Licens
ing),
(5) Projects Leader name,

(6) Projects Leader email address,
(7) Projects Leader wiki account - the username (you'll need this to edit
the wiki),

(8) Project Contributor(s) (if any) - name email and wiki account (if any),

As your projects reach a point that you'd like OWASP to assist in its
promotion, the GPC will need the following to help spread the word about
your projects:

 * Conference style presentation describing the projects in at least 3
slides -
http://globalprojectscommittee.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/what-is-the-3x-slide
-presentation-thing/

 * Project Flyer/Pamphlet (PDF file) -
http://globalprojectscommittee.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/what-is-this-project
-flyerpamphlet-thing/

As work on your projects progresses and you are ready to create a release,
please let the GPC know of the change in status.  The GPC can work with you
to get your projects assessed and moved up the OWASP quality ladder from
Alpha to Beta to Stable.  Every release does not require an assessment -
feel free to email the GPC if you are unsure about your projects'
requirements.  For examples of projects at various quality levels, please
see the OWASP Project page -
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Project

That is all for now - I wish you and your projects great success.  Thank you
for supporting OWASP's mission.

Should you have any questions or require any further information, please do
not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks, best regards,

Paulo Coimbra,

OWASP Project Manager <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page>