[Owasp-board] Google Hacking Project - Note by Jeff Williams, Chair, The OWASP Foundation

Paulo Coimbra paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Wed Jul 7 18:11:18 UTC 2010

All,

For your information.

Thanks,

Paulo Coimbra,

 <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page> OWASP Project Manager

From: owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org
[mailto:owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Williams
Sent: quarta-feira, 7 de Julho de 2010 18:43
To: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] Can someone summarize "OWASP Gate"?

Hi,

Essentially, the Google Hacking project has been presented at several
conferences, but the underlying source code was not available anywhere. The
explanation was that Google has stopped supporting the API the tool uses.
The code has now been released, but there are still some questions revolving
around the project and whether there was any abuse.

As a large distributed community, we can expect occasional allegations of
abuse of our principles, ethics, and brand. The important thing to remember
is that we have an inquiry process in place to handle these situations
carefully, respectfully, and factually.   OWASP has started an inquiry in
the Google Hacking matter to find out the facts and make recommendations to
the Board and Leaders.  That process should take a few weeks - stay tuned.

Please let me know if you have any questions or ideas.  Thanks,

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, Chair

The OWASP Foundation